69 imperial valley pan with heat block off to the carb

Hemi pwr

Reaction score
when it gets hot in traffic the carb hesitates from the heat so I put on a valley pan with the heat block of and flush the rad and a new 180 thermostat...ready now for next year. done this lots of times and works awesome

20171126_101748.jpg

20171127_150948.jpg

20171127_153448.jpg

20171128_114657.jpg

20171130_141936.jpg

20171130_142042.jpg

I did the same thing and had more problems because the choke would not open.
It would in traffic but when you were cruising down the road the choke would close because the cold air would cool off the intake. I pulled the intake again and punched holes in the gasket about 3/8" diam to get some heat but not bake it.

I did the same thing and had more problems because the choke would not open.
It would in traffic but when you were cruising down the road the choke would close because the cold air would cool off the intake. I pulled the intake again and punched holes in the gasket about 3/8" diam to get some heat but not bake it.
I have never had that problem and I have done about 8 cars now and all work fine the heat from the motor is lots to keep it running fine for my cars ..but I guess some dont

Your not much further north than me, maybe it's a humidity thing, but I fought it for a while and almost put a manual choke on it, but put the holes in to try and that worked great.

Yep, divorced chokes need an active heat crossover passage to work at all! If it's a Holley, you can get an electric choke kit, maybe similar with an Edelbrock AFB.

Did you replace the heat insulation "bag" under the intake manifold or leave it open under there? Allegedly, the bag is there to keep the valley pan from flexing with engine harmonics and then splitting from metal fatigue. So it's crammed between the intake manifold and the valley pan "gasket".

Engine paint looks good.

CBODY67

Yep, divorced chokes need an active heat crossover passage to work at all! If it's a Holley, you can get an electric choke kit, maybe similar with an Edelbrock AFB.

Did you replace the heat insulation "bag" under the intake manifold or leave it open under there? Allegedly, the bag is there to keep the valley pan from flexing with engine harmonics and then splitting from metal fatigue. So it's crammed between the intake manifold and the valley pan "gasket".I did put them back with new foil

Engine paint looks good.

CBODY67

yes I did replace it just put new foil around it the had to flatten them out to fit

I ran those Fel-Pro valley pans with the heat block offs in them. A word of warning: those plates will blow out.
During an engine teardown I found that the driver's side heat passage plate had blown out of the intake. I found it bent almost in half and shoved way down inside the left turbo. It was barely rubbing on the turbine wheel. It essentially plugged the exhaust and lead to a loss of power and blown head gasket.

That stinkin valley pan cost me a lot of money and time.

I now run Eddy heads and don't worry about the port that isn't there. :)

Yup those thin gaskets will blow out under 100km. Use thin stainless steel sheet as support. Those last a lot longer.

Back