71 T & C Headliner Chrome Snap-in Moulding

Hank

Reaction score
One of my headliner trim strips let go. Anyone know where to source these or a part number? These are the flexible plastic strips that cover the bows and support the pressboard sections.

thanks

Only one guy on the planet as far as I know that re-popz those Mylar stripz Hank. Callz himself Mopar Mel and hangz out somewhere up around the twin cities but you can find him on the web. OH, And I've heard that he'z real proud of what he haz to sell

Yes, Mopar Mel is very proud of what he has to sell and the prices reflect that. For me, even the purist that I normally am, I find that a better long term solution would be to fit a cloth headliner from a 1973 T & C (or any other C body wagon of that year) into the car and forget the pressed hardboard junk that was used in the earlier ones (maybe the 72 models also had cloth, not sure). The perforated hardboard sags over time and then overwhelms the retaining strips and then falls down. Place the car in the sun often enough, and you will have rapid failure of those panels. Maybe I would consider that perforated hardboard on a forward look two door, where the effort would be manageable, but for a long roof, it just isn't worth the pain to me.

Gee whizzer Steve, I wonder if any of the conversationz that have taken place over time on the Forwardlook site have seasoned your opinionz of Mr. Mopar Mel?...lol...Hank, My headliner for the '61 T&C Batwagon got way more complicated then your '71 will be. Just make sure that you get all the bowz when you find the donor and measure the spread all the way from front to back before you pull 'um AND WRITE DOWN THE NUMBERZ!!!!!!! You might also wanna say thankz to Mr. sayforwardlook for hiz wisdom and knowledge too? That'z why we all love this site. G.L. with it, Jer

Thanks for your comments Jer! Actually I have not read the Forward Look site comments about him, but when I inquired about some headliner strips a couple years ago, I thought OMG! when I heard the prices. For me, putting that perforated material in a T & C just isn't right for a class of car like that anyway, so I decided to go with the setup in my 73 Monaco wagon - so I do have a template to copy. I really like to be all stock 99.9% of the time, but in this case, I just couldn't see it. I appreciate the advice.

Steve

I would replace but mine is in near perfect condition with the exception of that strip. A couple of the sections had some sagging but I took down the entire set and sprayed them with water then put heavy boxes on top to flatten them out. Worked great and aside from the mouse nest that was above the driver section it was a pretty easy process but after a couple of days the one strip let go. I will see if I can find Mel on the net otherwise will het the salvage yard. thanks all.

I found two at the savage this morning, $10 each. I figure if I need to help the sagging I will just put some Velcro on the panels and the top.

A couple of the sections had some sagging but I took down the entire set and sprayed them with water then put heavy boxes on top to flatten them out. .

This method works good on sagging paperboard headliners. I've used it on a couple of forward look cars and will fix the "sag" in the Admirals headliner this way as well.
It helps to apply a clear coat to help stiffin the paperboard as well. A thin foam pad between the roof and liner will help as well as some trim adhesive. I like the Velcro idea. Might try that.

Back