73 to 74 question

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
84EB124F-6973-4E7D-B553-A26707F58B94.jpeg
i made a deal on this 73 Fury. The guy bought it just to get the disc brakes off it. Which he text me yesterday that he has done. So I have a set of 74 Monaco spindles & rotors. I just want to fit these good enough to help loading the car on my trailer. I just want to get the castle nuts started good & the tie rods. Then winch on the trailer. So will that work I don’t want to damage that front valance or fenders by dragging it up

So the hobby has now gotten to the point of ruining what looks to be a fine car for the disc brakes? Most people don't even drive the damn cars except in parades or 100 miles a year going for ice cream, but everybody's got to have discs. What a shame.

So the hobby has now gotten to the point of ruining what looks to be a fine car for the disc brakes? Most people don't even drive the damn cars except in parades or 100 miles a year going for ice cream, but everybody's got to have discs. What a shame.
What makes you think it's a fine car ?

What makes you think it's a fine car ?
We are midwesterners, that car looks fine condition-wise. Estheticly it appears as though a cartoon bomb went off in the trunk...

Doesn't appear to have any major rust issues but that doesn't give you the true condition of this car.....

Have to agree with Carmine, everyone is in a mad rush to convert to disks, but if it’s not a daily driver what’s the point? Back to the OP, I seem to remember fundamental differences between the 73 and 74 that won’t let the lower ball on the spindle bolt up to the LCA unless some serious cutting and machining is done. Bob, can’t you just rig up some dollies for the wheels? This took me all of an hour to put together and if fits nicely under the rockers.

2CB297B9-AF4D-4E34-8996-8F151965A6AE.jpeg

ADF27388-48C5-4BD5-967E-9E24808EFCC9.jpeg

Did you save any of the drum brake parts from the cars you just parted? The '65 to '71 drum brake spindles will bolt right on to the '73.

Jeff

Did you save any of the drum brake parts from the cars you just parted? The '65 to '71 drum brake spindles will bolt right on to the '73.

Jeff
I think I've sold all those Jeff. Hopefully I can get the 74 stuff in enough to get the nut on. And hook up tire rods with wire. Done that before as I've had them break while loading on these old junkers.

Being that the lower control arm doesn't have a ball joint in the 73 and the 74 spindle doesn't have a ball joint either I guess a really long high tensile bolt may work, either that or grab something off me, I am sure i have spare spindles around here.

Hey Bob,
I seem to remember that the 1974 spindles had an arm bolted on to mount to the lower ball joint. Should be the same as the mounting on the 1973. I also seem to remember the 1974 spindles being taller, but since you just want to move the car you should be able to bolt it together.

Being that the lower control arm doesn't have a ball joint in the 73 and the 74 spindle doesn't have a ball joint either I guess a really long high tensile bolt may work, either that or grab something off me, I am sure i have spare spindles around here.

I think the bolt trick would work. A 1/2" or 5/8" diameter by 5" or 6" long bolt should do it, along with some big washers in between to prevent binding.

BTW, if you're going to be parting that out, I know of a '73 Fury that would love to get two new doors. :D

73 Fury II SED 2.JPG

It's disappointing to see that they are rusty at the bottoms, since the driver side doors look perfect, but if the price is right, it won't be a big deal to fix them. Gary would have those welded up and primed in an hour, so I don't want to look like a sissy when it comes to a few little rust spots. They do look very straight, which is a big plus. I'll have to figure out a cost effective way to get them home. I'd probably have to book a load that goes though your area, heading to PA, and just put them back in the sleeper. I'd only have to work around them for one day and one night before returning home.

Thanks, Jeff

$75 bucks for the pair. Gary is going with me when I get the car. Give him a call he just might fix these for you. Then they can be shipped via Fastenal on a pallet.

$75 bucks for the pair. Gary is going with me when I get the car. Give him a call he just might fix these for you. Then they can be shipped via Fastenal on a pallet.
Bob, you're always good to us here... I'm glad you're finding home for the parts from her already.

Back