79 300 Restoration

I had to tighten/pinch the black clips on mine so they wouldn't slide down and fall off! Also, I put a dab of RTV on the fender nib and in the slots to help impede the louvers from sliding and falling off.

I had to tighten/pinch the black clips on mine so they wouldn't slide down and fall off! Also, I put a dab of RTV on the fender nib and in the slots to help impede the louvers from sliding and falling off.
I had to JB weld some of the clips back on the louver. I was thinking of putting a drop of blue loctite on the pegs when I reinstall. Although the clips may fit tight now with the new paint on the pegs.

All sanded and buffed. Gonna wash it up and put on the stripes. Next up is the interior. Have to clean up and dye some interior panels and then wait for the seats to be finished.
20221220_112336.jpg
20221220_112355.jpg

All sanded and buffed. Gonna wash it up and put on the stripes. Next up is the interior. Have to clean up and dye some interior panels and then wait for the seats to be finished.
View attachment 572427View attachment 572428

Looking great!

Were you satisfied with the TCP global paint in terms of terms of laying it down plus color sanding and buffing?

They seem to have very good color matching capability when I talked with them last week about being able to duplicate the GJ4 April Green Metallic paint I am going to need for one of my 71 300s and even stated they had the correct fine metallics to add to the paint to accurately duplicate the factory color. I haven't talked with any other supplier who had fine metallic additives anymore so that most paint one gets these days for our old cars have metallic that stands out too much to look original.

Wow, that looks great, Chris! You can probably do that in your sleep though. I'm laying down some white paint as well. Not nearly as glorious as your's though. Yeah, I'm a little jealous. Haha!

20221220_131030.jpg

Looking great!

Were you satisfied with the TCP global paint in terms of terms of laying it down plus color sanding and buffing?

They seem to have very good color matching capability when I talked with them last week about being able to duplicate the GJ4 April Green Metallic paint I am going to need for one of my 71 300s and even stated they had the correct fine metallics to add to the paint to accurately duplicate the factory color. I haven't talked with any other supplier who had fine metallic additives anymore so that most paint one gets these days for our old cars have metallic that stands out too much to look original.
Yes Steve, I was very happy with it. Laid down great, sanded and buffed easily. If you look at it you'd swear it was clear coated because it has depth. The only thing I'm not sure about is the color match. It's brighter than the old paint in the jambs and engine bay. Of course the old paint is over 40 years old so it could just be that.

I had to JB weld some of the clips back on the louver. I was thinking of putting a drop of blue loctite on the pegs when I reinstall. Although the clips may fit tight now with the new paint on the pegs.
@DeltaV The extra paint on the pegs did make the louvers fit tight. :thumbsup:

Great job. Wish I could get those kinds of results, but I`m too impatient and I get runs and crap. But doing it myself keeps my beaters going and my bank account in decent shape.

Beauty work there.

Great job. Wish I could get those kinds of results, but I`m too impatient and I get runs and crap. But doing it myself keeps my beaters going and my bank account in decent shape.

Beauty work there.
Well I started working in a body shop in my hometown when I was 15 in 1972. "Those kind of results" are from 50 years of practice! :lol:

Now I can clearly see what you mean Chris when you say it has the gloss and depth that gets real close to the basecoat/clearcoat (two stage) results, but with single stage in this case. It looks just amazing!

So the original stripes on the car were also decals and not painted on? If so, do you know when they started using decals in the factory instead of painted ones?
When did they ever paint the stripes on any '79 300?

FWIW, I've never heard of any '79 300 having painted stripes. I've seen one or two pictures of cars that were manufactured 12-78 and they had decal stripes. My car (original owner) was manufactured 1-79 and the stripes are decals.

When did they ever paint the stripes on any '79 300?

FWIW, I've never heard of any '79 300 having painted stripes. I've seen one or two pictures of cars that were manufactured 12-78 and they had decal stripes. My car (original owner) was manufactured 1-79 and the stripes are decals.
I think his comment was not directed at Cordoba 300s but meant in general for the Chrysler Corporation.

In which case, not including 300 Hursts, I think it was 1974...but don't quote me. I know for sure I've seen NOS Formal pinstripes at swap meets.

Back