A 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham as a movie star

I believe I need to revise my above comments on the color of the 72 NYB, as I went outside and used some rubbing compound on one of my 71 New Yorkers with the original GT8 paint, and I was a little surprised at how much shine and brightening of the shade of brown occured. I guess sitting in the CA sun over the years had dulled things quite a bit, but after buffing, it brightened up considerably such that I believe that New Yorker Brougham above could well be GT8. Colors are hard to determine from that era because sunlight vs shadows really change the appearance of the color/shade/glow of the paint. Probably the fine metallics used back in that era and no longer available generally these days were very light sensitive, especially when the paint is fresh or buffed as new.

For example, compare the color on the door jamb/latch area of the body color (the photo of the passenger right front bucket seat photo with the door open) with that of the other views of the exterior. The door jamb area is a very dark brown in that shadow area whereas the rest of the photos of the exterior of the body in the sunlight are much lighter/brighter in appearance

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like it rubbed hard against something. Also, I noticed that the right front dome cap on the wheel has its tip snipped. And these look like the real Chrysler domes too....

Actually John, I am thinking the center caps are the aftermarket or AMC ones with the red ring removed because the dome on the passenger side rear wheel seems to have too wide a center ring compared to the width of the the cap on that dome. But it is hard to be sure with such distant photos from the vehicle. Here are all three domes that were similar and produced by Motor Wheel in the 1970 to 73-4 period:

2004-01-11-19-06-25-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I believe I need to revise my above comments on the color of the 72 NYB, as I went outside and used some rubbing compound on one of my 71 New Yorkers with the original GT8 paint, and I was a little surprised at how much shine and brightening of the shade of brown occured.

A few years back I was in a local salvage yard taking a break, when I leaned up against an old 70s Chrysler w/ very weathered and oxidized metallic paint (dark green or brown IIRC). There was an old rag and a puddle of water nearby, so I got to thinkin', just for grins, I'd rub on it to see how a little spot would clean up. I was stunned! A greasy rag, muddy water, and 50+ year-old paint - and after only about 20 seconds of rubbing, the paint GLOWED again, just like it had come from the showroom! They don't make paint like that anymore . . .

Actually John, I am thinking the center caps are the aftermarket or AMC ones with the red ring removed because the dome on the passenger side rear wheel seems to have too wide a center ring compared to the width of the the cap on that dome. But it is hard to be sure with such distant photos from the vehicle. Here are all three domes that were similar and produced by Motor Wheel in the 1970 to 73-4 period:

View attachment 346881

Yes, it is hard to tell from this distance.... I'm sure the movie production folks don't notice, though, haha.

Are the two AMC domes on the bottom in your photo above different in shape?

One of these days I'll have to browse your AMC dome collection and pick up a few spares for my wheels. Tire shops have taken their toll on mine over the years, from stripped bolt holes to dents and dings.

Used-1971-Chrysler-New-Yorker (1) clipped.jpg

No problem John, as I will never use them on my cars and I can't think of a better car than yours to receive them. The Motor Wheel and AMC caps are identical except for the red bands. I have at least 4 of the AMC ones and some of the Motor Wheel ones. You know where I live since you have been here before. :thumbsup:

No problem John, as I will never use them on my cars and I can't think of a better car than yours to receive them. The Motor Wheel and AMC caps are identical except for the red bands. I have at least 4 of the AMC ones and some of the Motor Wheel ones. You know where I live since you have been here before. :thumbsup:

Not sure if I will be driving to the desert this year because of a move, but I will be living at least 250 miles closer to the asylum come spring! :D

Found this 2dr '72 NYB listed for movie rental. The exterior paint looks like GK6 Autumn Bronze (or is it GT8 Chestnut Brown? @saforwardlook may be able to tell), while the interior and top look like the G6T5 tan vinyl buckets and V1T tan, respectively. The car looks great with its road wheels. @Jeffrey Robidoux -- this might be a good opportunity to go and see if a '72 NYB is in your future!

View attachment 346537

View attachment 346538

View attachment 346539

View attachment 346540
i have 1 its a 4 door hard top

Yes, it is hard to tell from this distance.... I'm sure the movie production folks don't notice, though, haha.

Are the two AMC domes on the bottom in your photo above different in shape?

One of these days I'll have to browse your AMC dome collection and pick up a few spares for my wheels. Tire shops have taken their toll on mine over the years, from stripped bolt holes to dents and dings.

View attachment 347052
i have 1 its a 4 dr ht it has a 440 & was used to tow a 23' rv

GEDC0440.JPG

GEDC0441.JPG

hitch.jpg

jean & her trailer all ready bto go camping! (2).jpg

jean in her towing garb (2).jpg

jeans motor .jpg

rear seat.jpg

GEDC0440 (2).JPG

I'm not usually a brown guy...
I'm kinda light beige, with coffee-brown hair except where it's turning grey.:poke:
No offense intended. I have a similar attitude about most grays but some of the metallics are sharp, especially on the fancier C's.

My first car was a '73 Scamp and it had a similar body color except more "brown." (JY9 Tahitian Gold - I think.) Medium gold interior. With its 225 Six and dysfunctional emissions controls, my parents' Class C Winnebago may have been faster zero to sixty.

...I hope the owner who is pimping for movie rental knows what they're getting into. With a reputable studio, and professional production company, it can be great fun, (and lucrative), but that's not always the case. There are a LOT of horror stories out there...
When I was preteen and stupid, I liked CHiPs - but it didn't take long to become sick of the car-nage. I think they may have been worse than The Dukes of Hazzard. Granted, those were purchased, not leased, but the references to Hollywood brought back memories.
I'm amused by the Goodyear Wranglers. When shopping for new rubber for my "C," most offerings were light-truck/SUV tires. That sez a lot about our cars! (The Wranglers don't look bad with the road wheels.)

I'm kinda light beige, with coffee-brown hair except where it's turning grey.:poke:
No offense intended. I have a similar attitude about most grays but some of the metallics are sharp, especially on the fancier C's.

My first car was a '73 Scamp and it had a similar body color except more "brown." (JY9 Tahitian Gold - I think.) Medium gold interior. With its 225 Six and dysfunctional emissions controls, my parents' Class C Winnebago may have been faster zero to sixty.

When I was preteen and stupid, I liked CHiPs - but it didn't take long to become sick of the car-nage. I think they may have been worse than The Dukes of Hazzard. Granted, those were purchased, not leased, but the references to Hollywood brought back memories.

I'm amused by the Goodyear Wranglers. When shopping for new rubber for my "C," most offerings were light-truck/SUV tires. That sez a lot about our cars! (The Wranglers don't look bad with the road wheels.)
d i have the same tires i had aon a they fit well

I found this car's twin in Germany! Here is a video of her, posted five months ago:

Back