A/C in a convertible?

A/C...yes or No?

• Yes...keep and restore it to operation eventually

Votes: 35 100.0%
  • No...strip it out and sell to someone who really needs it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have AC in my '70 Newport, and I use it. It gets quite hot here in the summer months. I use it even with the top down. Why? Sitting at a light that cold air feels great! Moving, it doesn't really matter.

I’ve been known to run ac with the top down in Florida in May.
Humidity can be stifling sitting in traffic.

It depends on your point of view I suppose. To me, seeing the compressor on the engine makes the car seem more sophisticated and classy :D
You’re wrong but that’s ok.:poke::lol:

I have a 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible with Air Conditioning. It's well worth it. Hot summer sun with the Top up is a necessity.

1966 Sport Fury 3.jpg

1966 Sport Fury 1.jpg

My '70 Fury vert doesn't have air. When i ordered the car, AC was about $300 or $400 extra and i couldn't see any reason to put AC in rag top. I was trading in a '68 Fury vert without AC so I was pretty experienced. What I didn't allow for was geography. At the time I lived in Kingston and drove mostly to Ottawa and Toronto and didn't have any problems. However I moved to Calgary which is much higher in elevation and the sun feels a lot hotter. In fact on hot summer day, the combination of black roof and black interior makes the car undrivable. To be honest, I'm sorry I didn't install AC when I did the restoration. What slowed me down was the though of swapping out the firewall, I looked and I pondered, but in the end left it alone. Shoulda Woulda Coulda but chickened out!

I fully intend to restore the factory airtemp on my '69 Newport 'vert. Black vinyl SUCKS when its hot (ohh, actually it sticks and burns your buns and thighs!)
Scott

Back