A Lesson Learned

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess I will post my rant here. I have had many good experience purchasing items on the internet, but I just have to vent my frustration here. I was in the market for a good running take out 440 and transmission. I followed up on a lead to one that was in Florida that was in a motor home and was "running when parked" I contacted the seller via text/email and phone. Got some pictures and the engine looked dirty in the motorhome. Bought the engine and transmission and told the seller that I wasn't in a hurry but needed a window of time for it to be shipped and held at the terminal because I only get home about every 4-5 weeks. Well that didn't work out. I heard several excuses about short of help, couldn't find a freight company, or just plain no answer. So, now six months later.
So, I arranged to fly to Florida, rent a UHaul and pick up the engine and trans. What I found was a rusted mess, probably was a boat anchor for a while. Loaded it up anyway, drove back to South Dakota, unloaded it and started to tear it down. It certainly wasn't a "running take out". Right now I have broken off a water pump bolt, pulled the plugs and it is locked up. Haven't yet pulled the heads, as I had to go back to work. So, I will either have to rebuild the complete engine, or I do now have a "boat anchor". So, I have over $2500 invested in this grand journey!
Pictures tell the story.
20180730_181508.jpg
20180730_181515.jpg
20180730_181523.jpg

You will be able to tell a lot about the condition of this engine by pulling the heads. If there is layered rust on the cylinder walls, it is probably junk. If the bores are rusted but smooth, the engine probably got stuck from sitting. Sometimes you can load it up with penetrating oil and try to remove the pistons one at a time. Good luck.

Dave

I feel your pain, I once bought and shipped from CA to WI a 1976 Lincoln town car 4 door convertible by SILCCO of FLA.

Almost ready to drive, but when Perry receives it he says the only useful things are the B pillar modifications and name badge, prick even kept the windshield- Perry called him - " gonna sell that separately."

All up maybe 7k down the toilet- live and learn. Hope your engine is salvageable.

You will be able to tell a lot about the condition of this engine by pulling the heads. If there is layered rust on the cylinder walls, it is probably junk. If the bores are rusted but smooth, the engine probably got stuck from sitting. Sometimes you can load it up with penetrating oil and try to remove the pistons one at a time. Good luck.

Dave
Dave, Yep, that's the next thing to do. I will be back the end of August, and will pull the heads, hopefully I will not see a rusted mess!

That's a lot of effort for a running 440 motor home engine.
A lot of money too
So, I arranged to fly to Florida, rent a UHaul and pick up the engine and trans. What I found was a rusted mess, probably was a boat anchor for a while. Loaded it up anyway, drove back to South Dakota, unloaded it and started to tear it down. It certainly wasn't a "running take out". Right now I have broken off a water pump bolt, pulled the plugs and it is locked up. Haven't yet pulled the heads, as I had to go back to work. So, I will either have to rebuild the complete engine, or I do now have a "boat anchor". So, I have over $2500 invested in this grand journey!
I really don't want to salt your wounds... but that was way, way too much. Around here, they come up often enough that you could have gotten the whole MH free for removing it from wherever it was "parked when it ran". A hard several days of cutting up the dumpster full of paneling and Styrofoam the metal scaper's don't want and you should have been able to give away the frame for removal. The trick is being able to tear it down where it's at or finding a close by location that will allow it.

Not that I'm very inclined to work that hard... but out of curiosity, what is the market value of a MH 440 these days? Fastenal should be willing to ship one strapped to a pallet for $200ish...

This may come as a surprise to some but I was trying to be nice Jeff.
I thought nothing else... I think the world of you.

I was just looking for the FU thread on the blue car from yesterday... I suppose another one that got removed due to "internet violence" :realcrazy:
Don't folks realize FU means "good morning" in NJ anyhow?:lol:

Edit: I actually am curious... I have a MH440 that's been sitting on a stand for over a decade. I sometimes wonder if I should let it go, but I never saw it as worth letting go of. Things need to line up in my mind between market value, my perceived value and the fact that I hate to sell anything I don't believe is 100%. Mine still turns and I drove it to it's last parking spot is all I know about it's condition... since it sat for so long. I declined to sell a NYB440 last year because I didn't trust it's condition and decide I'd rather keep it as a core than chance burning a member.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear and not sure I would’ve admitted any of that.:rolleyes:

That's a lot of effort for a running 440 motor home engine.
Yes it was. that was all of my costs, travel, purchase price, truck rental, etc. It would have been quite cheaper if the seller had followed through with his promise of shipping the engine.

I’m sorry to hear and not sure I would’ve admitted any of that.:rolleyes:
I understand. But, most guys here are helpful and want to do the right thing. Just thought I would pass on a lesson in "Buyer Beware".
Thank you,

Wow, Clark! I’m sorry to hear that you got burned so badly! If you need a running MH 440, look to the Detroit area. A person would be hard pressed to get $500 for one around here.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, hopefully you're able to salvage it.

Is it legal to print this sellers name and address? It would go a long way in preventing this mutt from taking advantage of yet another buyer. Good
luck with the rebuild.

Is it legal to print this sellers name and address? It would go a long way...
I've seen too many times that doing so only turns into a shitstorm that accomplishes nothing in the end. Not worth it.
The post served it's purpose in that it shows again that we need to remain ever vigilant against scumbags.

Considering I've sold a number of good 440 cores for $300-500 a piece....

Yes, I agree, if I was buying a core. I had hoped for a running takeout engine/trans. Oh well, not to be. I was intending to drop this into my 75 Doba with a topeend kit, but not to be. (was hoping for a tire burning black stealth Cordoba) Now, I have to rebuild.

Thank you.

Back