adding safety items

Not to contradict DetMatt, but you might want to check to see when head restraints became standard and/or optional. There's all of the related bits that are buried in the seatback to accept the headrests, and I think it's a safe bet to say that Chrysler wouldn't just waste the $$ throwing that stuff into the seatbacks of every car on the hope that somebody would buy headrestraints optionally. Once they were standard, you'd be fine, but before that, be careful.

Shoulder belts "might" be a little easier. The important piece from them was the weld nut in the ceiling. Once they became optional adding them into every car wouldn't have cost a fortune, so they might have installed at 100%.

By and large most of what you're looking for became standard by the end of the 1968 run, so you might want to look for somebody's parts car from that era.

Thanks, that's great info. Here's what Allpar has to say about Chrysler cars (not sure if this would apply to Dodges, too?)
in 1967, numerous safety options became standard features. For Chrysler brand cars, these included a remote-control rear-view mirror, better front and rear seat belts, and seat belts for the third seat on wagons. Primitive shoulder belts were an option; these folded into roof clips but did not adjust automatically, and restricted movement once in place. The bolts for these belts were added to each car, whether they were ordered or not, so they could be retrofitted. Center-seat belts were optional, but again the bolts were now put into each car so they, too, could be retrofitted
http://www.allpar.com/history/chrysler-years/1966.php in the section called "Safety" near the bottom of the page

You can not be retired, a DIY'er, and not have an 8' foot bed and a tow hitch behind you.(Sent using Forum Runner)

A friend who likes Chevy stepsides asked me " why did you get an 8 foot bed"? I replied "because they dont make a ten foot bed".

Bingo!!
Those supercabs with the 5 1/2' bed are as useless as tits on a bull.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Primitive shoulder belts were an option; these folded into roof clips but did not adjust automatically, and restricted movement once in place. The bolts for these belts were added to each car, whether they were ordered or not, so they could be retrofitted. Center-seat belts were optional, but again the bolts were now put into each car so they, too, could be retrofitted
http://www.allpar.com/history/chrysler-years/1966.php in the section called "Safety" near the bottom of the page
My 68 Monaco has these belts. I use the lap belt with the shoulder belt attached. The combo works well once the shoulder belt was adjusted to my size. I let the shoulder strap hang loose rather than hooking it to the roof each time.

Welcome to the site. We need some pics please

Monaco.jpgHere's the only pic I have at the moment. I wish I thought to take more pics when I went to see the car... hope to pick it up in about a week.

Monaco.jpg

Very nice is it crunhy under the vinyl top when you touch it

Pretty sure it's ok under there. There's a tiny bit of surface rust (chipped paint) at the bottom of the front pillars. The only really visible rust is at the lower outside corners of the rear window (appears minor, hope I'm right about that) and a small hole on the rear fender between the door and the chrome trim on the wheel well. You can kind of see the hole in the pic I posted. Oh, and the very beginning of rust on the inside of the base of the doors. Definitely not pristine, but pretty good for a NY car with 130k miles.

It's a 10-footer, never going to win any awards (unless I decide to put a lot of work into it). For now I'm just hoping it will be good for driving around town while I get acquainted with the world of big Mopars.

Many people install seats from a modern car w/ integral shoulder belts. I have some from a Sebring convertible for my 65 Dart. I think several SUV's have such seats too, which might fit better in a C-body.

Rust under a vinyl top is a common problem. When the vinyl gets old it allows water in the cracks and holds it against the metal. I have seen photos of disasters when the vinyl is removed, but you will have to do that to see and fix the damage. Good luck and hope it isn't riddled with rust-thrus.

Many people install seats from a modern car w/ integral shoulder belts. I have some from a Sebring convertible for my 65 Dart. I think several SUV's have such seats too, which might fit better in a C-body.

Rust under a vinyl top is a common problem. When the vinyl gets old it allows water in the cracks and holds it against the metal. I have seen photos of disasters when the vinyl is removed, but you will have to do that to see and fix the damage. Good luck and hope it isn't riddled with rust-thrus.

That's a really interesting idea... can you tell me about how easy/hard the installation was for your Dart?

Not difficult, but time consuming. Anytime you custom design something, expect a lot of time with a ruler and back and forth, even something as simple as a few brackets. I spent over a day fitting brackets for both front bucket seats. I put my both seats on a table upside down, with the seat bottom on the table so I could measure to get the same distance to the bottom of the bracket mounting holes front & back and both sides, and the same centerlines. I used L slotted channel on the outside and cut L brackets for the inside, both from Ace Hardware. I put the driver's seat in temporarilly to move the car. It seems to fit perfectly and feels much better than factory. I need to finish the interior before I install for good. There is an issue with later Sebring seats and the automatic seat-belt tensioner. I think you need the matching factory electronic box or such. Can't tell you more since I haven't researched and don't even know what year my seats are.

Not difficult, but time consuming. Anytime you custom design something, expect a lot of time with a ruler and back and forth, even something as simple as a few brackets. I spent over a day fitting brackets for both front bucket seats. I put my both seats on a table upside down, with the seat bottom on the table so I could measure to get the same distance to the bottom of the bracket mounting holes front & back and both sides, and the same centerlines. I used L slotted channel on the outside and cut L brackets for the inside, both from Ace Hardware. I put the driver's seat in temporarilly to move the car. It seems to fit perfectly and feels much better than factory. I need to finish the interior before I install for good. There is an issue with later Sebring seats and the automatic seat-belt tensioner. I think you need the matching factory electronic box or such. Can't tell you more since I haven't researched and don't even know what year my seats are.

Thanks, that's really helpful. If I go down that path, I'll probably bother you for more details. I was wondering about the electronic pre-tensioners; hopefully I can find a seat that's Monaco-compatible that doesn't depend on fancy sensors.

Back