adding safety items

What do you think....
And when he was forced to downsize to K-cars, they were Beige.

I hated him. He would drive away from the showroom and never have to return until 3 years later to buy another one. I buy a new car and I'm back at the dealer 12 times in six months....

Hmmm....
I understand what your saying....
Maybe that's why my generic gray F-150 stripper hasn't seen the dealer since I dove away almost 7 years ago....

Times have changed Stan ..................

Strippers always have less to go bad

Thats because those that ordered them were car people. Green car buyers were generic

Green car buyers were of the "hate to drive", "don't drive in rain or snow at all, cause too dangerous" type, that's why these constantly show up in good condition and low mileage I guess.

Hello all,

I'm proud to have just become the owner of a 1967 Dodge Monaco. It'a 4-door hard top with the 383 2bbl engine.

I'd like it to be a nearly-daily-driver, so I want to add some basic safety equipment: shoulder belts and (if possible) head rests. Does anyone have experience installing these items? Could you recommend specific parts or provide tips on the installation?

The car hasn't arrived yet, but pics will come as soon as the car does!

-David

Not to contradict DetMatt, but you might want to check to see when head restraints became standard and/or optional. There's all of the related bits that are buried in the seatback to accept the headrests, and I think it's a safe bet to say that Chrysler wouldn't just waste the $$ throwing that stuff into the seatbacks of every car on the hope that somebody would buy headrestraints optionally. Once they were standard, you'd be fine, but before that, be careful.

Shoulder belts "might" be a little easier. The important piece from them was the weld nut in the ceiling. Once they became optional adding them into every car wouldn't have cost a fortune, so they might have installed at 100%.

By and large most of what you're looking for became standard by the end of the 1968 run, so you might want to look for somebody's parts car from that era.

Thats interesting information Kevin .... Headrests became standard midway through 69 model year, correct?

What do you think....
And when he was forced to downsize to K-cars, they were Beige.

I hated him. He would drive away from the showroom and never have to return until 3 years later to buy another one. I buy a new car and I'm back at the dealer 12 times in six months....

Quit buying GMs and Fords.....:yes:

A friend at work had a 2005 F150 and it **** out the front hubs twice, had to replace bearings in the transfer case, had several injectors crap out, had a nasty come and go valve train noise, and a strange slip/thud in the transmission, in which the dealer just kept dicking him around, taking the truck, saying it was this or that and that it was fixed when it continued to do the same thing until the warranty ran out at 35,000 miles.

I was under the edge of the truck on a creeper and told him to hold the brake, put in gear and add a little throttle, and initially the pinion just turned a bit when he put it in gear, but when he added a little throttle, it twisted another 1/4 turn without turning a tire, I can't believe whatever cheezy crap that was twisting up didn't snap.... POS

This truck never had a reciever and still had the plastic cutout in tact on the bumper... Never pulled a thing in it's life.

Last edited:
My aunt bought a 2007 Pacifica and had no problems, and then bought a 2011 1/2 ton Laramie and has had no problems. She is 74 and is still working at a retirement home and really loves her truck.

I have 2 other friends with newer Dodges that also bought them new and have had no issues, and a cousin that bought a 2004 2500 with less than 50,000 miles and he really likes it, again no problems to date.

I think all of the big 3 have had bad stretches with OD transmissions, but it seems to be in the past now.

I hate my 2005 truck..... had a few issues but it always starts POS.

I always have had sedans and currently am driving a 2011 Buick Regal Turbo, which is a fun car and suits me fine. But I hear radio ads from the local Dodge dealer right now offering $13K off sticker on 2012 Ram pickups. I don't know how they can sell them so cheap. When the time comes to replace the Buick I wonder if a pickup might suit me? I have never had one and they are awfully big. But I will be retired by then, probably doing home and garden projects, and it could be handy, plus I will be unlikely to be driving it much. An interesting dilemma.

2011 RAM is my daily driver with 65K miles & 0 problems. It's the nicest vehicle that I've ever owned.

An interesting dilemma.
When I retired I bought my first truck ever. Never thought much about a pickup as my main ride. Now? Take my truck away and you'd be cutting off my right arm.
You can not be retired, a DIY'er, and not have an 8' foot bed and a tow hitch behind you.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Back