Aftermarket muffler close in sound/db as OEM

In the video, what was the silver paint they painted that muffler with after it was done? Some sort of zinc?
Possibly some sort of carcinogenic mix that you can only get in countries with no OSHA or environmental regs.. Or most likely, it's just silver paint.

Maybe something like this?

He used a sponge to apply it, you could see it streaking when it was being applied, but when it was dry it was absolutely flat, like it was bright steel with no coating.

------------------
Cold Galvanizing

Cold galvanizing is simply the application of a zinc-rich paint to the surface of a steel element to protect it from corrosion. As such, the term “cold galvanizing” is considered to be a misnomer among some professionals in the coating industry.

Zinc paints may be applied by brushes, rollers, spray guns, etc. Coatings may also be applied by the electrogalvanizing method as well. The zinc-rich paints used in cold galvanizing are different from conventional coatings due to the presence of a binding compound. These binders allow the zinc to mechanically bond to the steel to offer an effective level of protection.

Like hot-dip galvanizing, cold galvanizing can provide barrier protection and also some degree of cathodic protection. However, the zinc dust present in the paint or coating must be in high enough concentrations to promote electrical conductivity between the steel and the zinc.
----------------

Cold Galvanizing Compound Spray

Last edited:
In the video, what was the silver paint they painted that muffler with after it was done? Some sort of zinc?

@polaratherapy
Regarding Motivair:

---------
Custom Mufflers and Resonators for Antiques, Hot Rods, Custom Jobs.
What ever your needs phone us with your Specs.
---------

I didn't know about them - why couldn't they supply your muffler?
As Boydsdodge points out they have mufflers and resonators but do not manufacture complete or partial systems.
I purchased the 67 Newport this summer and it did not have a full exhaust system. It had a Y pipe to muffler and nothing beyond that. Waldron's is providing me what I need behind the muffler to make it OEM spec.

Isin't anything beyond the muffler going to be just pipe, some hangers? What are you getting from Waldron's in that regard that is going to be different than what a local / custom exhaust place could rig up? And Waldron's can make up the pipes without actually being under the car? They're going to get all the dimensions and bends correct?

Are the pipe's you're getting going to to be stainless steel?

Isin't anything beyond the muffler going to be just pipe, some hangers? What are you getting from Waldron's in that regard that is going to be different than what a local / custom exhaust place could rig up? And Waldron's can make up the pipes without actually being under the car? They're going to get all the dimensions and bends correct?

Are the pipe's you're getting going to to be stainless steel?
I decided to go with the cheaper one's but yes you can get stainless. Factory spec, as I had nothing to bring to a custom guy and say " can you reproduce this ? " I did contact a few shops and got no replies, sorry we don't do that, they can't think outside the box sometimes. I don't want to Mikey Mouse it, McGiver it to make it fit .I just want it over the axle, clamp her all down, hang it properly with the right dimensions.
Talked to them at lenght, Ruth is great and talked to John who acctually makes them, my kind of people, mom and pop shop feeling if you know what I mean!

Personally, I LIKE bolt-on stuff. Seems that although they might have "cards" to bend the pipe by, they don't always match the OEM-spec stuff, for whatever reason. Always of lesser-than-OEM-spec pipe materials, too. They always hit something back there, too. I learned these things the hard way. I like using quality clamps rather than getting it welded, too!

In any event, there are NO generic muffler shops that always puts out top-quality work, from what I've seen. The good, custom-work shops can do great work, but at a price, usually. Quality is related to WHO runs the machine and if THEY are doing a good job, not unlike other manual labor situations, by observation.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

I have this same problem. I finally got my ’70 NYer Coupe running in October, and the noise of the TTI dual exhaust I had put on it really bugs me. I don’t want my car to sound like a Road Runner. It used to be a grown man’s car, and I want it to sound like one. - Any chance Steve you could measure the length and width of the OEM dual exhaust mufflers you have? Do they have resonators? I can have those custom made here, but it would be nice to know the OEM specs.
Yes, give me a few days and I should be able to get various dimensions from my single exhaust Imperials and New Yorkers/300s with 440 std engines and also the dimensions of the dual exhaust 440 HP C bodies that I have. They would all be 1970 or 1971 model year dimensions.

Yes, give me a few days and I should be able to get various dimensions from my single exhaust Imperials and New Yorkers/300s with 440 std engines and also the dimensions of the dual exhaust 440 HP C bodies that I have. They would all be 1970 or 1971 model year dimensions.
Thank you! Take all the time you need. My car is in storage until spring (late April) so I'm in not the least bit of hurry.

OK, it looks like after some actual measurements of a couple of my 71 Chryslers and Imperials that I finally have some dimensions (the cars I sampled are the ones with miles below 35K miles on them approximately and whose exhaust systems still look original). First my apologies to @CBODY67 as he appears to be correct in his choice of the Walker muffler as pretty much the same as the original ones dimensionally as he stated in a previous post in another similar thread:

Walker Exhaust 18381 Imperial/NY/Newport 440 single exh system 1972
Case length 25.0" Case height 4.25" Case width 9.75" Overall length 29.0"
Inlet pipe 2.50" offset to inside Outlet pipe 2.50" center
Oval shape

Specific fit

So what I am seeing on my 71 Chryslers and Imperials with single exhaust is that the muffler cans themselves are the same on both the single and dual exhaust vehicles - they nominally measure 25" long and 10" wide and 4.5" tall.

On the dual exhaust cars, they use two of these mufflers, one on each of the dual exhaust pipes and they are positioned just before the tailpipes start to bend upward just ahead of the rear axle (or under the rear seats) and there are no resonators.

On the single exhaust systems the muffler is the same dimensions as each of the dual exhaust ones and are located in the same position just ahead of where the exhaust pipe starts to kick up ahead of the rear axle. These single exhaust systems use resonators where the can is nominally 21" long and 4.5" in circumference. The single exhaust systems are on the passenger side of the car.

It seems most muffler lengths include some inlet pipe and outlet pipe, so overall length of the whole muffler in the catalogs would be about 4" more (about 2" of pipe on the inlet and outlet of the cans). I will also post this same information in the muffler thread.

Steve

Last edited:
OK, it looks like after some actual measurements of a couple of my 71 Chryslers and Imperials that I finally have some dimensions (the cars I sampled are the ones with miles below 35K miles on them approximately and whose exhaust systems still look original). First my apologies to @CBODY67 as he appears to be correct in his choice of the Walker muffler as pretty much the same as the original ones dimensionally as he stated in a previous post in another similar thread:

Walker Exhaust 18381 Imperial/NY/Newport 440 single exh system 1972
Case length 25.0" Case height 4.25" Case width 9.75" Overall length 29.0"
Inlet pipe 2.50" offset to inside Outlet pipe 2.50" center
Oval shape

Specific fit

So what I am seeing on my 71 Chryslers and Imperials with single exhaust is that the muffler cans themselves are the same on both the single and dual exhaust vehicles - they nominally measure 25" long and 10" wide and 4.5" tall.

On the dual exhaust cars, they use two of these mufflers, one on each of the dual exhaust pipes and they are positioned just before the tailpipes start to bend upward just ahead of the rear axle and there are no resonators.

On the single exhaust systems the muffler is the same dimensions as each of the dual exhaust ones and are located in the same position just ahead of where the exhaust pipe starts to kick up ahead of the rear axle. These single exhaust systems use resonators who can is nominally 21" long and 4.5" in circumference. The single exhaust systems are on the passenger side of the car.

It seems most muffler lengths include some inlet pipe and outlet pipe, so overall dimensions of the whole muffler would be about 4" more (about 2" of pipe on the inlet and outlet of the cans). I will also post this same information in the muffler thread.

Steve
Steve,
you just described the single exhaust system I got from Waldrons to a tee, pretty much anyway for my 67 Newport.
Just had it delivered last week, ordered 10 weeks ago, I also found out ( after the fact) they use Motivair mufflers and resonators which are made in Canada about an hour away from where I live. So half of my system was made in Canada, shipped to the US and then shipped back to Canada. Long story short, I screwed myself in paying for items made in Canada and crazy shipping costs....I'm a dufus!

Have a nice day

Steve,
you just described the single exhaust system I got from Waldrons to a tee, pretty much anyway for my 67 Newport.
Just had it delivered last week, ordered 10 weeks ago, I also found out ( after the fact) they use Motivair mufflers and resonators which are made in Canada about an hour away from where I live. So half of my system was made in Canada, shipped to the US and then shipped back to Canada. Long story short, I screwed myself in paying for items made in Canada and crazy shipping costs....I'm a dufus!

Have a nice day

Very glad the Waldron's exhaust systems matched the originals so well then!! That is very good news. Waldrons gets a gold star for sure!!

I'm curious - were our C-Bodies "quiet" when new, as compared to say the more performance oriented cars of the time? I'm thinking specifically about Slab Bodies, but any answer is appreciated. I can't imagine a New Yorker sounding like a GTO or Corvette of the day.

Is there an aftermarket muffler that is as quiet or nearly as quiet as original, but perhaps flows a tiny bit more? I read a few people talking about the OEM "Hemi" mufflers, but I don't know where to find those, or how quiet or loud they actually are.

thanks for your thoughts!
My 65 SF has thrush glass packs which are very nice, not to bold but it doesn't attend church either. The car arrives with me and doesn't stay after me!

Steve,

Have a nice day
That's what I have been trying to say from the beginning. I did plenty of research when I was building my system.
I think you will be happy with your new exhaust system.

That's what I have been trying to say from the beginning. I did plenty of research when I was building my system.
I think you will be happy with your new exhaust system.
Having Motiveair push me to check Waldrons and then unpacking my parts only to find the muffler and resonator in boxes stating ....Made in Canada , I am a dufus!

As a follow up to this thread, I settled on a Walker 18230 muffler, which is basically what came on all big block Mopar's from 68 to 72 (according to the Walker catalog). Here's a video showing the sound. I'm pretty happy with it. It's quiet, has the low burble without any upper frequency harshness. Let me know what you think.

Having Motiveair push me to check Waldrons and then unpacking my parts only to find the muffler and resonator in boxes stating ....Made in Canada , I am a dufus!
Maybe Motivair thought you wanted a complete system from them. I just buy mufflers from them, as that's what they make. There is a custom exhaust shop on the property, but told it is a separate business.

I switched out the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on my 2 1/2" TTI system. The replacement is a '68 Cadillac muffler Walker #21856.
More Information for WALKER 21856

I had hoped to take the old mufflers off without any damage, but the gods of exhaust pipes decided against letting me do that and they got cutoff.

In comparison, the new muffler is just a hair shorter and it replaced the old mufflers without any drama. Note I went to a better clamp. New muffler on the bottom in each of these pics. And yes, the floor needs sweeping...

p9M9vbS.jpg

RvTbtCI.jpg

The results? Less than stellar at idle, but there was a 1db reduction in noise and IMHO, the deeper sound from the Turbo is gone. I haven't driven it yet... The stars just aren't aligning for a good weather day and time for a ride. So the jury is still out and I'm hoping I cut the drone down at least. I may still add a small glass pack muffler in each pipe before the muffler.

Before:

After:

Following up on my post...

The stars aligned for a ride in the convertible this afternoon. Perfect 'vert weather too!

The car is noticeably more quiet with no drone. This is huge for me... I have rather bad tinnitus in my left ear and the drone always seemed to make it worse. The car is much more enjoyable to drive now.

Following up on my post...

The stars aligned for a ride in the convertible this afternoon. Perfect 'vert weather too!

The car is noticeably more quiet with no drone. This is huge for me... I have rather bad tinnitus in my left ear and the drone always seemed to make it worse. The car is much more enjoyable to drive now.
Do those walker mufflers reduce in size inside ? Did you add a resonator since the install. My mufflers after a year are a bit loader, no cackle or drone, just notice loader on take off from stops. I am going to try resonators.

Back