Ain’t gonna be no rematch!

I think just the engine is cursed. After all the trouble you went through in your excellent thread "1970 Fury I stripper!", this really is disappointing. I've blown up a couple of sets of mufflers due to those damn intermittent "brain boxes", but it didn't have any effect on the engine, though both times it was in park.

Could it be coincidental that these things happened so close together? How many miles since the rebuild? And I recall your wait time at the engine shop being lengthy, dare I ask what their policy is in these situations? Apologies for all the questions, not trying to rub dirt in the wound, just curious.
I don’t think the two things had anything to do with each other.
The brain box and muffler is no big deal. My friend and I assembled the engine so, the cam bearing is on us.
My friend feels responsible for the failure as I questioned the cam bearing installation when we done it and he said it was fine. The engine is at his shop now and he says he’ll fix it and let me know when it’s ready.
But, I would never trust it again and I wouldn’t re-install the engine and sell it without telling the buyer what I thought of it.
I went all out and spent way more than the car will ever be worth the first time around. Any further money and work I put into it would only put me deeper in the hole.
I budget these projects in a way that insulates me from being put in a financial strain in any way. So, when they won’t bend to my will, or get problematic and cease to be enjoyable, I ditch them.
Whether the car sells or rots in the field won’t move my needle at all.
Considering I have access to machine guns, flame throwers, tannerite and a YouTube channel, old Mickey is getting off easy!

991 miles since I got it back on the road. This car is cursed and does not want to live! 53 years old and this is all the miles it could be forced to operate!

8173CDE3-53CC-4143-BDB6-74AB2D9400E7.jpeg

069527A8-2429-45DA-8DB8-7D3188A03DB9.jpeg

Why are more Plymouths popping up that I'd love to have? Money, time, and space don't favor me getting one.

Noooooooo! Don't be THAT guy!

Anyway, aren't there already two members that wanted 1st & 2nd dibs if you decide to sell the car?
That big talk don’t mean doodle -squat. If they wanted it, it would be sitting in their driveway. If someone wants it they know where it’s at.

Those slant 6 have a great reputation. Must have come down to bad luck, or possibly poor rebuild.
Do it right, and stick with it, i'm sure it'll last another 53 years on the road if well taken care of.

Those slant 6 have a great reputation. Must have come down to bad luck, or possibly poor rebuild.
Do it right, and stick with it, i'm sure it'll last another 53 years on the road if well taken care of.
I’m not going last much longer myself! Hopefully my old Chevy truck will finish me out.

Last edited:
Didn't see that coming.
Out in the field on tall blocks under one of those $179 Harbour Freight 10x17 portable garages for a while would be a good course of action. Maybe a few years.
I suspect the only way to not realize a loss would be to put it back on the road and get sweet revenge for the next 20 years.
I'm just stubborn enough to run that program on it to. I'd show that car who the boss is. After sending it to its room for a while.

Please don't let it end up like so many mid 80s Z28s.. up on blocks and under a torn tarp. That'd be a dang shame. Hopefully your engine guy gets it straightened out.

that's what i'm hoping. that he straightens it out and installs it, or at least helps install it, with no further consequences for you. either way best of luck with it. it was a tough row to hoe.

Thank for the condolences guys.
Like I told my buddy, it’s not a matter of pride or stubbornness. It’s a numbers thing to me. I went all out getting that car back on the road and spared no expense. A couple months ago when I would have stood behind this build 100%, I put it up for sale and even lowered the price down to 12500. Which was a great deal for someone who knows the car from my thread here. I didn’t get one nibble other than a scammer. I’m thankful as can be that it didn’t sell, because that would have been a mess. I’ve got it on here now for 5500 and still no bites. I can’t justify sinking more money in the engine, the #1 rod bearing starved for oil and is bordering needing turned. I know that it would be another snowball of cash to put the engine back together right especially since I’m gun-shy about doing anything short of maximum effort now.
Back to the numbers thing…I can afford to build this car all over again. But the reason I can is that I know when to say when on this type of project. Numbers don’t care about pride, stubbornness, or cool cars. Having $20k in a car that won’t bring $2500 isn’t good financial responsibility.
As it stands, I got to be cool and drive the car some, taught my son and a buddy how to drive a three on the tree, made a video or two (which are kinda blowing up on YouTube now)
The build was frustrating at times but overall it was fun and almost comical because of the hardships. Having to start over was the tipping point where I got in the life boat and paddled to shore.

Please don't let it end up like so many mid 80s Z28s.. up on blocks and under a torn tarp. That'd be a dang shame. Hopefully your engine guy gets it straightened out.
No blocks or tarp or supper for Mickey! UV rays and field mice is what he gets. I was always a bigger fan of his cousin Jerry Lee anyway.

95 years old Dad says past loss is irrelevant, it's what can be done from where we are with what we got.

Short block it from a reman house and sell with "their" warranty.
The last reman 225 short block I got three years ago was $1500 with one year warranty. Plus tax and delivery. $1800 total. No core charge. I didn't spend much time shopping around.
Or put a local junk yard $500 motor in it and sell with their 90-day warranty.

With no a/c or no a/t, it has a price ceiling, but it will have a better total return than a car in pieces.

I passed on the reman long block because it was another grand and my 225 head was good as is.

the numbers have gone out the window. if it could be made to yard drive/drive on to someones trailer at no cost, that would be best. that new cam has to be junk. i remember looking at the prices. oof! this thing is so far underwater it's sunk.

Past loss should be used for educational purposes.
This is a no win situation financially. When the desire to drive the car, the challenge of rescuing it, and the novelty of having it is gone, what’s left?
Why would I fix it back up just to give it away?
Admittedly, I’ve made minimal effort to sell it as it has only been marketed here. There’s an *** for every seat and someone out there is probably looking for this car right now. I’m too lazy to market it so that’s not helping.
At the end of the day I have other interests and responsibilities that I’d rather pursue than to re-live this bad dream again!

the numbers have gone out the window. if it could be made to yard drive/drive on to someones trailer at no cost, that would be best. that new cam has to be junk. i remember looking at the prices. oof! this thing is so far underwater it's sunk.
I wish I had left it together and dumped some 20w50 in it to move it around. But, hindsight.
The days of me being the hero and saving these lost causes are over. I’m old,fat,lazy and evidently incompetent!

that's the sad part. you did everything right. what's the lesson? i think of your international. yank it out of a barn, fire it up, have fun.
Yeah, it’s always like that! I half-assed that Scout together and it does great! In fact, we dragged Mickey out of the garage with it yesterday evening.

Back