Ain’t gonna be no rematch!

I've had a few 225 engine 3sp and 4sp 1/2-ton vans and 1/2-ton pickups.
The problem with the 3sp was gear 2 was always too tall in town, too big a jump from 1 to 2 for the weigh. And too short for merging at 60/70.
The 4 speeds were marvelous. Did run them at full throttle most of the time, but marvelous none the less. Plenty of power, except merging from 70 to 80.

Plenty of slow roads to cruise where I live, out in the sticks.
It’s perfect for backroads and hills. On the interstate where the speeds are closer to 80 just to keep up, not so much. The small tires and cam profile on this build are not ideal for 3.55. Typically, when I think “highway gear” I think of something in the 2.76 range.

It’s perfect for backroads and hills.
Most of my old car driving is on 60mph or under roads. But I'm not afraid to go across country at 2800rpm with the 3.55's in my Polara. Favorite gear is 3.23, have yet to run the 2.76 in anything.

Few cars live at 70, most run around town, and to work and back at 50. So, 3.55 makes since in this 150 hp car.

Few cars live at 70, most run around town, and to work and back at 50. So, 3.55 makes since in this 150 hp car.
I’ll have to agree with you on that. It did have decent take off for what it is. A numerically lower gear would hurt that.
But, it might not live “at”70 mph but it lives “in” 2023. I’ve driven the car on the interstate where traffic is going no less than 80 and I wished I had just one more gear or a 3.23.
As a matter of fact, Ive driven 40 miles of interstate 5-7 days a week for 9 years. Most of the time it was in some old 3-speed car with gears ranging from 3.23 to 3.55 and the occasional 3.73 or 3.91. It ain’t optimal by a long shot, especially with 3.55 and up. A 200 mile trip at these speeds winding 3k plus for hours gets on my nerves. I feel like apologizing to my car after one of those. Not to mention the fuel economy.
Deciding what gear is best for a car that’s going to see all kinds of driving is tough when you’re dealing with the transmissions these old cars came with.
For all the modern cars faults, one of the things that they benefit from is the umpteen speed transmissions they have. Now you can have to have your cake and eat it too in terms of performance and economy.

So true. Horses for courses.
I wonder what the throttle response at 70 would be with less than the 3.55.
The 66 Dart 170ci/3sp with 3.23 was bad at 70, but it was bad everywhere except 10 to 30 in first gear. Good car it was. Once it was finally spun up to speed.
Don't slow down, don't pass, don't go up hill..................
The 170 motor, stupid stupid stupid.

The makes me wonder how this car would be with a new 8-speed 8HP70.
Would need careful consideration of axle ratio and tire dia.
And even then, I'm betting there would be 1 or 2 gears that weren't usable.
But the other 6-7 would make for a definite improvement.

Back