Alloy Heads On 413

1962 300

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've got a stock 1962 413 and it runs well in my 62 300. I also have a set of 440 Source aluminum heads that I plan on using for a future 440 build, but was thinking to use these heads on the 413 until I build the 440. I'd like to hear any pros or cons on this idea. Has anyone already done this? If yes, I'd be interested to know what observations you had. Thanks, Charlie

Disclaimer! I'm the first guy who wants hot rod everything he owns.

You bought the Stealth heads for a future 440 build and the '62 413 runs good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now, the Stealth heads should wake up your 413, but, if I recall the '62 engines had different rocker shaft stands and you'll have to scrounge up the later bolts and holddowns. The '62 heads had four valve cover bolts and the Stealths have six.

If it ain't broke.....................

Or, looked at another way: How much work would it be to swap out the heads? What if you put that work into your 440 build? You'd get there that much sooner.

My plan is similar to HeyOldGuy's suggestion. I'm gradually accumulating the parts, and rather than swapping them in one at a time, I'm going to wait until I have them all at once and do my rebuild with those parts then.

Back