Another,AnotherAnother,Another 1961 FURY

SGT FURY

Reaction score
I have a few 61s, this one here,I nick named (the BLACK HOLE) because it's black,full of rust holes, and will be $ dumpster. It's a very unusual high option 61 that was owned by a Chrysler exc in 61. It's a GC 383 4v with 3speed Manuel which Plymouth did not advertise as available other than police package cars. According to Darrel Davis book there were only 47 383 4v 61 coupes built. (14 3 speeds) It has power swivel buckets,even though there not supposed to be available. (Maybe dealer installed?) power lwindows,HIFI stereo,rear defogger,bumper tie,aero wheel, and 1961 hurst yoyo floor shifter. I have seen a 61 dodge,motor trend magazine that had the same shifter installed in it by Chrysler? It also has 62 cast max wedge headers.
Here are a few pics of the 61 as I first found it. I was told by a freind to check out this ugly Edsel that was going to be scrapped. It was completely covered with brush. I removed 3.5 40 gallon garbage cans of rat chit and discovered max wedge manifolds.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very kool! What’s the plan for it?
I'm going to start the tear down this winter. As you can see its ruff,but it has a lot of soul. I've yet to probe the rockers,the doors don't fit well,hopefully just bad hinges. Front floors are bad. It has a 69 383 in it. I have a 61 413 from a imperial and a Xram

Obviously, the exec knew his way around an order sheet. Plus that even if the option was "model-restricted", that if it was "on the line", it could be done.

Some of those cars, in the right color and model, looked fantastic! Good luck on the project!

CBODY67

Very cool car!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this one!

It is stated somewhere that the "aero" wheel was not avaliable on a straight shift car. It would be worth while to search for the broadcast sheet. The Chrysler historical might have a copy of the IBM card. That's where I got mine.

It doe's seem like a special car with good provenance. It would be worth some research into its past.

Is there a provision for a shifter on the steering column?

Love it!!! So many cool features, really dig the " HI-FI on the radio buttons.what details!

I have a few 61s, this one here,I nick named (the BLACK HOLE) because it's black,full of rust holes, and will be $ dumpster. It's a very unusual high option 61 that was owned by a Chrysler exc in 61. It's a GC 383 4v with 3speed Manuel which Plymouth did not advertise as available other than police package cars. According to Darrel Davis book there were only 47 383 4v 61 coupes built. (14 3 speeds) It has power swivel buckets,even though there not supposed to be available. (Maybe dealer installed?) power lwindows,HIFI stereo,rear defogger,bumper tie,aero wheel, and 1961 hurst yoyo floor shifter. I have seen a 61 dodge,motor trend magazine that had the same shifter installed in it by Chrysler? It also has 62 cast max wedge headers.
Here are a few pics of the 61 as I first found it. I was told by a freind to check out this ugly Edsel that was going to be scrapped. It was completely covered with brush. I removed 3.5 40 gallon garbage cans of rat chit and discovered max wedge manifolds.

View attachment 331740

View attachment 331741

Nice car Sir.

Your in-box is full. I have a PM I would like to send.

It is stated somewhere that the "aero" wheel was not avaliable on a straight shift car. It would be worth while to search for the broadcast sheet. The Chrysler historical might have a copy of the IBM card. That's where I got mine.

It doe's seem like a special car with good provenance. It would be worth some research into its past.

Is there a provision for a shifter on the steering column?
I've heard that to. It has that correct auto colum and the push button delete. Stick 61s got the round sparkle wheel and autos the square. Because the colum shift got in the way of the square wheel? Somebody mention once that the colum and wheel is black and the dash is red,but then when I started looking online about 50% or of red interior cars had black columns. I was told by a steering wheel recast guy that Chrysler had made more black wheels and was using the supply of what they had?

I've never seen Mopar branded seat belts. Was that dealer item, or am I just mistaken?? When did seat belts become mandatory factory items?, and did that happen across the whole US, or did some states start first?? Definately not a car you see every day with those options. Thx

This black 61 Fury will be a real looker when done. I am glad someone like you saved it. Super!!

awesome ride. keep it simple and drive it. I would not even paint it. the patina on that car is perfect if you ask me. [ minus the mouse **** of course ]

Back