Any late model techs on here?

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Yesterday when I went out to my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan to head home the check engine light came on as soon as I started it up. I pullled out of the parking lot onto the highway & the trans would not shift. Van has 89K miles on it. 3.3 V6 It has always run very good, but did have a shutter when shifting to high at low speeds. At 40 MPH it was reving 3500 rpm. So I towed it home. Tranny fluid is correct, but has a bit of a burnt smell, but not too bad. I put my code reader on it. I have DTC codes of PO605 (PCM read only memory) and DTC code PO700 (trans controll syst. malfunction) It also pulled up I/M codes for misfire, fuel, comp, catylist, evap, 02 sensor, 02HTR. So is this the typical dodge soielnoid sensor near the valve body or is its the PCM or something else. I think those I/M codes are just tune up/maintance related. Any help would be apppreciated.

If it went into limp mode like that, the first thing I would suspect is the solenoid pack has failed or the screen is clogged. It is pretty easy to pull and clean. A new on is less than 100.00 on ebay. If the speedometer went out at the same time I would suspect the speed sensor first. The other codes wouldn't put it into limp mode as far as I know.

Speedo seemed to be fine. I guess it solenoid pack went out. Had that happend on other Chryco prods. at about this same mileage.

That 700 code is generic if you don't have reader software. with the right reader it will break down the trans codes and pinpiont which solenoid in the pack, speed sensor and so forth, pretty safe bet solenoid pack is bad. Sometimes if you clear codes by disconnecting battery the car may drive normal for a couple of shift cycles then go back to limp.

Ended up taking mine to a local shop. Mopar guy i race against works there & said he would check it for me. Call me & said the trans controll module was bad. $565.00 P & L Told him to order the part. He said it will be ready monday.

Wow I get on here with my Sister in-law's PT cruiser tranny problem...now there are two more people with late mode Chrysler's with tranny issues. Sorry if I started a plague there guys....:sad1:

565 for a TCM seems high to me. Doesn't it just plug in?

Thats what I was thinking. I just hope it fixes it. I need my service van. Been working out of my Ram all week & I cant find nuttin. And when you drive the same vehicle 5 or 6 days a week you get kinda use to it. Fits like a glove kinda thing.

You know I have owned this 03 van for 2 & 1/2 years. 90K miles & so far this is all I have had to do to it. And a set of front brake pads I installed myself. Oil changes. 1 serpintine belt. It see's a lot of city stop & go & also a lot of highway miles. I have put 38K on it in those 2 1/2 so I guess its been good to me.

Back