Anyone here knowledgeable in Construction?

Here is what I do know:
- no rebar in the pad, i guess it was not required
- no idea of fiberglass reinforcement or not but I am pretty sure it was not used
- he has been building houses for abt 40 years and has built many high end homes in the Harrisburg area....i am personally aware of more than 100 houses that he has built.
- if this stays the way it is then I am fine with that, I'm just taken aback that it has happened so early.
- no idea abt rebar in the footers but a simple phone call to the code guy will tell me that and prob how deep. I have to make sure i keep him sort of close anyway as it may help me get my second garage permit in the near future.
- again, my guess on the pad depth based on the before/after pics is 3-4".
- i will give him a call on Monday to discuss and see what info he gives me. Still busy right now with the old house as we have some prep to do before closing. I want to at least get that wrapped up so i can focus on the new place.

Thanks to all of you for the input......construction is not my area of expertise. I will update once I talk to both him and the inspector. I could have sworn I saw some rebar in the stack of supplies but I don't see it in any of my pics so it either wasn't used for the footers or i stopped by and didn't have my camera that day.

In any case your little cracks are normal and after a few months fill them if they bug you. Note you can stop a crack from growing by drilling a hole at the end so that the stress causing the crack loses focus.

as long as they don't get any bigger they won't bother me at all..........but it really hasn't even gotten cold yet!

I can't help with the why it cracked, but I do know it seems all concrete will crack at some point. If you want to keep a "scientific" eye on if the crack is continuing to expand, you can install a concrete crack measuring device and log any movement over time. These types devices are very helpful for these very situations...they measure movement in millimeters.

https://www.amazon.com/CRACKMON-402...643447&sr=8-11&keywords=crack+measuring+gauge

If if have a micrometer, you can do the same thing by measuring the same [exact] spot over time.

I bought my house brand new in Fall 2003... I think the first crack I saw in the garage was around Spring 2004. Finally had our carpets replace last year and WHOA you wouldn't believe the cracks under that were hiding under the carpet. Don't know when those showed up, but the house is still standing and solid!

I know this is little solace with your house being new and all, but small non-offsetting cracks are very common.

hope this helps!

So you think it's pushing and that's where it cracked?

No, I think the crack on the foundation block appeared because there (seems not to) be no separating layer between the floor slab and the perimeter wall. There should be. It could be vapour plastic which you extend from below the floor slab, a 1/16” hardboard sheet which you pull away afterwards, and fill the seam with Elastic PU, or a polyurethane sheet which can be left in place, as I suggested. Anything to keep the floor slab from sticking into the perimeter block while the floor is being cured, and while it contracts (shrinks) somewhat.
As mentioned, it takes some four weeks for the 4” concrete floor slab to stop the chemical hardening process (a good rule of thumb: it takes one week per one centimeter, or 1/5” of concrete). Anyway, since there is no separating layer, the concrete slab - while it contracted, and cracked exactly where the builder wanted it to - stuck hard into the perimeter block, and ripped it while contracting.

The movement was really not much, but enough to make a nasty looking crack on the block. It seems to be an aesthetic fault only, however. There seem to be no sign of the perimeter footing giving in the least bit.

What are you not buyin?

the " no separating layer between the floor slab and the perimeter wall "

i think
I think that some sort of barrier between the slab and the foundation would have prevented the crack in the slab from splitting the block but I also think it’s not a big deal and that what has happened will be as bad as it gets.

After about 6 months, go to Home Depot and buy a bottle of Quikrete and fill all the cracks and then forget about them.

If you want pure pizzazz have the slab epoxy coated and finish the walls to include baseboard and crown molding. :p

78 - Garage.JPG

There's a special tool for those

View attachment 148522
Actually that floor squeegee is exactly what I use. LOL

A maglite shone across the floor makes even the smallest part throw a big shadow, but the ultimate part finder is my youngest granddaughter. She has eyes like an eagle, the only downside is she wants to eat everything she finds so I have to be quick! :wideyed:

Typically a slab on grade doesn't need an expansion joint between it and the perimeter foundation wall. Especially in a residential settling like this. You want it all tied together. I'm surprised that no rebar was installed in the slab. There should be a continuous rebar in the footing and block curb, though.
Either way, as has been stated previously, I wouldn't worry about this little crack - grab a beer and take a breather. All concrete cracks and will continue to crack.

In this case, with no rebar, you're dependent on the base material and subgrade compaction to support the slab.

For comparison, when I built a garage over 10 years ago, My slab and footings were contiguous concrete, and I had #4 rebar each way at 16" o.c. in the slab and (4) #5 continuous in the footings which went down 27" below grade. I cut control joints in the slab within 24 hours, but it still cracked (minor cracks).

It’s just what concrete does.

Back