Anyone know the gas line route for a 1970 440TNT with air?

Northcoast300h

Reaction score
I think the route I have keeps the line cooler, but I got it like this and don't know if original route is better. (Coil was moved to frame near fan to keep it cool). I've looks at many pics of 440's but can't tell what the route is from pump to carb. Can someone post a clear pic or drawing? Thanks for your help.

IMG_E4576.JPG

Should be a high-quality image in the FSM. Usually, from the pump, then to the filter in front of the block, under the alternator, then upward to go basically horizontal along the inner side of the valve cover. Then a turn toward the carb inlet. Varies on the end due to the differences in carb inlet locations.

I understand your orientation to "keep things cool", but in a street car or even one which sees the drag strip every so often, as long as the fuel line does not actually touch any hot items, no real need to worry about "heat", even in hotter weather. On the other hand, ThermoTec shielding wrap has seemed to work pretty well . . . even on headers. Seems like they also now have some that is tubular in weave rather than just the orig flat fabric.

www.mymopar.com for the free download of the FSM.

ALWAYS best to use steel line for fuel line rather than rubber line, fwiw.

CBODY67

I think the route I have keeps the line cooler, but I got it like this and don't know if original route is better. (Coil was moved to frame near fan to keep it cool). I've looks at many pics of 440's but can't tell what the route is from pump to carb. Can someone post a clear pic or drawing? Thanks for your help.

View attachment 572556

Yeah. That routing doesn't look right. It may have been "customized" by the PO. I think Inline Tube has the correct tubing and they may have a schematic on their web site. Is there a filter in the line between the pump and the carburetor? I have several extra WIX fuel filters, if you need one.

View attachment 572556

This might be the correct fuel line setup:

68-69-70-71 Mopar Fuel Pump To Carb Carburetor Line Lines 440 4Bbl Carter Avs Oe | eBay

Hi Alan - Is the rubber fuel line out of the pump supposed to be twisted like that? I wish my engine looked that clean. I looked at my block and you're right. That route is tight. I'm thinking it will touch/rub against the engine in some areas.

Hi Ripinator - Thanks for the offer. My filter is located under the air filter housing so its probably not original. I might contact you if I go the way Chrysler intended.

Hi Cbody - I like how OEM filter is away from heat under the alternator, but I'm guessing its difficult to replace the fuel filter, correct? Its probably better than my location under the air filter housing and over the intake manifold...It gets kinda hot.

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if I'd be gaining anything to change it to OEM but I'll probably try it and see if I like it. My car will never win any awards so just want it to run right.

Hi Alan - Is the rubber fuel line out of the pump supposed to be twisted like that? I wish my engine looked that clean. I looked at my block and you're right. That route is tight. I'm thinking it will touch/rub against the engine in some areas.

Hi Ripinator - Thanks for the offer. My filter is located under the air filter housing so its probably not original. I might contact you if I go the way Chrysler intended.

Hi Cbody - I like how OEM filter is away from heat under the alternator, but I'm guessing its difficult to replace the fuel filter, correct? Its probably better than my location under the air filter housing and over the intake manifold...It gets kinda hot.

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if I'd be gaining anything to change it to OEM but I'll probably try it and see if I like it. My car will never win any awards so just want it to run right.
No, I didn't like that. I think I needed to massage the hard line to get the filter in a better spot.
2021-12-19_002.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
No, I didn't like that. I think I needed to message the hard line to get the filter in a better spot.
View attachment 572651

Alan

I don't think your fuel line setup is right. There is a hard line that exits the fuel pump and makes a turn to a vertical direction. This is where the fuel filter attaches with a short hose and a corbin clamp. Another short hose and clamp is used to attach the fuel filter to the metal line that goes to the carburetor. The WIX filter (from RockAuto) has all the little hoses and clamps right in the box.

I modded the stock fueling on my '71 TnT to use an electric pump mounted at the tank, running the line along the frame all the way to the core support, thru a better filter mounted there, and then back along the top of the fender across the engine bay, straight into the carb.

That was the last step I used to eliminate summertime vapor lock.

750Eddy.jpg

This one?
2014-09-04_002.jpg

There were two different fuel pumps, one with the threaded fitting and the one with the hose nipple.
In the 69 factory parts book it shows two different part numbers for the fuel pump on the 440, one in a B-Body and a different one in the C-Body
If you look up the part numbers on RockAuto you can see the difference.
3004799.jpg

and 29322799
2932799.jpg

Why the difference I have no idea, even with the two piece hardline I needed to massage the line to get them to line up for the fuel filter.

Alan

Last edited:
This one?
View attachment 572747
There were two different fuel pumps, one with the threaded fitting and the one with the hose nipple.
In the 69 factory parts book it shows two different part numbers for the fuel pump on the 440, one in a B-Body and a different one in the C-Body
If you look up the part numbers on RockAuto you can see the difference.
View attachment 572750
and 29322799
View attachment 572749
Why the difference I have no idea, even with the two piece hardline I needed to message the line to get them to line up for the fuel filter.

Alan

Thanks a lot for finding those photos. They explain what I said p0erfectly. Didn't know there were two different fuel pumps specified. . . I like the setup for the metal line out of the fuel pump best.

Saw it a couple times in here and hafta call it out. :stop:
You need to massage the fuel tubing - your car won't text with you.

Back