Asking for assistance with Imperial ride height issue

Crown of 66

Reaction score
Hey guys, first off, I have a 66 Imperial Crown 4 door hardtop. Just replaced the original, EXTREMELY worn leaf springs with a new heavy duty set from Espo. It looks kinda nuts - very jacked up in the rear, which sure isn't right for this car.

Now I know that I can adjust the front end up, but the front end is actually at the height I want it. Just want to see if I can get the rear down somehow. I have heard of lowering blocks but don't know if that is the only or best method of adjusting new leaf springs downward. Any help appreciated. Thanks fellas!

You got it! Here are a few profile pictures. I think stock height would have front where it is, but rear lower than it is.

IMG_2578.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

Just need a little more junk in the trunk.:lol:

But yes the front does look about right. It is pretty quick and easy to measure front height and check the specs in the service manual. A spacer between the axle and the top of the leafs would lower it, but from the pictures it seems you would need a a pretty thick spacer.
Make sure your shackles and bushings aren’t artificially holding it up. If you tighten the bushings when the axle is suspended in the air then the bushings may not let the eyes pivot letting the car lower when you set it on the ground. I would try jacking up the rear of the car frame (unibody) loosen your bushing bolts, set it on the ground, jounce the car up and down and then re tighten the bushings when the weight is on the springs and axle. (Don’t loosen when you have weight on the axle in case the bushings are holding the it up)
And fill the gas tank up and re-evaluate.

Be patient my friend.
Drive is around put some miles on it and the springs will settle.
Your profile pics shows nothing out of the ordinary.
Load up the family and the Imp will sit level.

Be patient my friend.
Drive is around put some miles on it and the springs will settle.
Your profile pics shows nothing out of the ordinary.
Load up the family and the Imp will sit level.
Thanks, gonna put some weights in the trunk just to see how much that impacts the height.

But yes the front does look about right. It is pretty quick and easy to measure front height and check the specs in the service manual. A spacer between the axle and the top of the leafs would lower it, but from the pictures it seems you would need a a pretty thick spacer.
Make sure your shackles and bushings aren’t artificially holding it up. If you tighten the bushings when the axle is suspended in the air then the bushings may not let the eyes pivot letting the car lower when you set it on the ground. I would try jacking up the rear of the car frame (unibody) loosen your bushing bolts, set it on the ground, jounce the car up and down and then re tighten the bushings when the weight is on the springs and axle. (Don’t loosen when you have weight on the axle in case the bushings are holding the it up)
And fill the gas tank up and re-evaluate.
Thank you! I will give this a shot.

Well I put maybe a few hundred pounds of landscape pavers on the trunk floor, and it ALMOST looks reasonable. Guess I just need to give this one some time. Thanks, fellas.

Back