automatic trans trouble

t57f100

Reaction score
i have a 1965 plymouth fury lll it has the 318 motor poly setup.question one need to know what tranny it has its automatic.and two first ride in car not far round block noticed it seems to start out in first skip second and go into 3rd but can't beside its third or second.car sat say 3 to 5 years as far as i know.car has red nice and clean fluid but not to take anything for granted maybe someone before me put the wrong fluid in so after reading my manual it looks like "FLUID A " is recommended for it is this right?last question where should i being to look for my problem in this tranny.one more thing the change into the third gear if it is changing into third is very hard i mean jerk you in the seat.i do not see any vacuum hoes from anywhere going to the tranny so a vacuum modulater i don't see.again i am just getting to know this car from front to back so i am not taking anything anybody did before me is right.trying me best here and asking for help thanks

Probably a small block 727. Check the casting numbers to be sure.

Incorrectly adjusted throttle valve linkage will make it shift all over the place. On mild acceleration 1-2 shift should be at 14 mph. 2-3 shift should be at 28 mph.

i have a 1965 plymouth fury lll it has the 318 motor poly setup.question one need to know what tranny it has its automatic.and two first ride in car not far round block noticed it seems to start out in first skip second and go into 3rd but can't beside its third or second.car sat say 3 to 5 years as far as i know.car has red nice and clean fluid but not to take anything for granted maybe someone before me put the wrong fluid in so after reading my manual it looks like "FLUID A " is recommended for it is this right?last question where should i being to look for my problem in this tranny.one more thing the change into the third gear if it is changing into third is very hard i mean jerk you in the seat.i do not see any vacuum hoes from anywhere going to the tranny so a vacuum modulater i don't see.again i am just getting to know this car from front to back so i am not taking anything anybody did before me is right.trying me best here and asking for help thanks

You probably need a complete flush of the tranny fluid but before you do this an inspection is necessary. First I'd remove the pan and the shifter body and clean it thoroughly. Next, while the pans off, check the servo pistons to make sure the snap ring inside, that stops the piston movement, hasn't popped out allowing one of the pistons to drop down. If this happens, your band won't engage. Look for anything loose or out of place inside the transmission case. If your pressure control linkage is misadjusted, shifting will be erratic or nonexistent for some gears. Change the filter and fill the tranny after you complete the above, adjust the bands, and give it a go. If your not skilled enough or comfortable to service or rebuild components of a tranny, your last recourse is a transmission shop or a used tranny. I'd bite the bullet and go to a tranny shop - it may be something small that doesn't require a full rebuild, then again ........

Let's eliminate something simple first...

Are you checking the level correctly? Warm and idling in neutral?

Checking in park will give you the wrong level.

Grab a service manual from here if you don't have one already.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

The trans section will show how to adjust the throttle linkage etc.

ok thank you all for the input right now my car is at my work and 1st week i n january it will be home ill drop the pan and report back thanks for a starting point merry christmas everyone

I wouldn't make dropping the pan the first thing you do. If it ends up being something external you may be able to avoid that pita all together.

Agree, don't take pan off until you get it working right then take it off and change fluid and adjust low/reverse band.

hey guys all set the kick down rod was wide open don't know how it got that way my cousin mike is an awesome guy thanks for all the help here and hoping all our car troubles are this easy MERRY CHRISTMAS

and as my furry torque flight and me exclaimed as WE drove out of sight MANY BLESSING S TO YOU ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!.

Back