Aux. Transmission Cooler installation- 1965 New Yorker

Carl K

Reaction score
I'm slowly getting around to configuring my 1965 New Yorker as a tow vehicle. I searched the forums but only found one transmission cooler installation- bluefury361's installation of a factory cooler. I didn't have a factory cooler to work with, so I bought a new Derale 13504 fin and plate cooler.

transcooler01.JPG

I didn't want to attach the cooler using those stupid straps that push thru the radiator, so I made a couple of brackets that picked up existing holes. Above you see a bracket with nutplate that mounts on the hood latch post and shares a hole with the clamp for the power steering cooler.

transcooler03.JPG

The other side is supported by a zee bracket that shares the two holes that hold the AC dryer.
oilcoolerbracket04.JPG

Both use nutplates so the cooler can be slotted in from above and screws installed with a screwdriver through the grille (no grille removal).

transcooler04.JPG

I followed the factory setup and installed the aux. cooler after the radiator. I cut one of the hard lines and re-routed the two ends. Flaring the line in-situ wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but it worked out in the end.

cooler01.JPGcooler02.JPG

Here are the two hard lines I bent from 5/16 fuel line I found at the local FLAPS. They both go up and over the radiator core support, like the factory did. I used an existing hole at the top of the core support, just adjacent to the clamp for the AC liquid line. I also made a bracket that shares one of the radiator attachment bolt holes.

line01.JPGline201.JPG

transcooler01.JPG

transcooler03.JPG

oilcoolerbracket04.JPG

transcooler04.JPG

cooler01.JPG

cooler02.JPG

line01.JPG

line201.JPG

Here's a few images of the final install. Overall I'm pleased with how it turned out. No extra holes drilled, factory look, and modern cooling capacity.

finished1.jpgfinsiehd_t.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

I hope this helps someone in the future- at least it offers some ideas.

Carl K.

finished1.jpg

finsiehd_t.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Nice work... I will never fully understand folks not making their own lines... its very cheap and not really that hard after a few practice trys with the flaring tool heavier steel lines like your a cheap bender helps a lot, but I almost never use one for brake lines. BTW I have "enjoyed" put a flare on an installed line before... its always at a tight location when the need arises isn't it?

Nice work Carl, but you then again you are a perfectionist and I wouldn't think you'd do anything less! :yourock:

The two lines from the trans were split with braided hose. This was to allow them to take up vibration and engine movement, as well as making them easier to fit...

IMG_3249.jpg

One went into the radiator tank, the other into the return side of a thermostat. Cold can kill a trans as well as heat...

IMG_3252.jpg

From the thermostat, two hard lines went to the core support....

IMG_3236.jpg

On the other side of the core support, two braided lines went to the cooler. This was mounted on two L-shaped brackets at the bottom...

IMG_3229.jpg

I did it like that to avoid drilling any extra holes in the bracket they are attached to. At the top, an extra bracket was made. Again, done in such a way that I did not need to drill any holes...

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

I'm slowly getting around to configuring my 1965 New Yorker as a tow vehicle. I searched the forums but only found one transmission cooler installation- bluefury361's installation of a factory cooler. I didn't have a factory cooler to work with, so I bought a new Derale 13504 fin and plate cooler.

I didn't want to attach the cooler using those stupid straps that push thru the radiator, so I made a couple of brackets that picked up existing holes. Above you see a bracket with nutplate that mounts on the hood latch post and shares a hole with the clamp for the power steering cooler.

The other side is supported by a zee bracket that shares the two holes that hold the AC dryer.

Both use nutplates so the cooler can be slotted in from above and screws installed with a screwdriver through the grille (no grille removal).

I followed the factory setup and installed the aux. cooler after the radiator. I cut one of the hard lines and re-routed the two ends. Flaring the line in-situ wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but it worked out in the end.

Here are the two hard lines I bent from 5/16 fuel line I found at the local FLAPS. They both go up and over the radiator core support, like the factory did. I used an existing hole at the top of the core support, just adjacent to the clamp for the AC liquid line. I also made a bracket that shares one of the radiator attachment bolt holes.

Nice Job. Looks even better than the factory cooler on my car.

Flatlander- that is very clean work you've done. Probably a better way to do it if your car isn't bone stock. I'm impressed!

The two lines from the trans were split with braided hose. This was to allow them to take up vibration and engine movement, as well as making them easier to fit...

View attachment 65979

One went into the radiator tank, the other into the return side of a thermostat. Cold can kill a trans as well as heat...

View attachment 65980

From the thermostat, two hard lines went to the core support....

View attachment 65981

On the other side of the core support, two braided lines went to the cooler. This was mounted on two L-shaped brackets at the bottom...

View attachment 65982

I did it like that to avoid drilling any extra holes in the bracket they are attached to. At the top, an extra bracket was made. Again, done in such a way that I did not need to drill any holes...

View attachment 65983

View attachment 65979

View attachment 65980

View attachment 65981

View attachment 65982

View attachment 65983
Damn, how did I miss that post.
That is a five star A1 installation.

Damn, how did I miss that post.
That is a five star A1 installation.

I'm with Stan... I apologize Flatlander, I totally missed this one and do like your install thanks for sharing.

Nice work. How did it work while towing? Do you have a temp gauge to monitor what is going on while towing?

Nice work. How did it work while towing? Do you have a temp gauge to monitor what is going on while towing?

I wont be towing with the car. The only reason I did it that way was to get the tranny up to temperature quickly, and keep it there.

Back