Ball Joints

Vertigo

Reaction score
Is there anywhere you can buy a lower ball joint for a 68 Monaco 500 with front disc brakes?
Everything I have seen is listed as for drum brakes only. What is the difference?

Could the car be converted to a more common used disk brake assembly for cheaper?

Could the car be converted to a more common used disk brake assembly for cheaper?

If you can find a complete 73 C-body, you can get everything from that. Spindles, lower BJ's, and all the relevant disc brake parts. Then re-build it and install. Doing this would net you a disc brake system that can be serviced a lot cheaper then your factory 4 piston disc brake caluipers and rotors.

And you will probably be into the entire front brake re-build and swap for about the same amount of money as just doing the lower BJ's on your car now.

Holy crap! Almost four hundred bucks each!! At that price i would change the entire disk assy out from a 73

I just bought a pair for my 69 at NAPA, $125 each. Its just what lower ball joints cost.

Alan

I just bought a pair for my 69 at NAPA, $125 each. Its just what lower ball joints cost.

Alan
Yah but i couldnt justify spending 800 bucks on lower ball joints when they are second hand rebuilt units, i would rather swap the entire disk brake assembly to later units that are far cheaper.

The only later ones I saw that were less than $125 were 74+
The same lower ball joint is used from 69-73. Converting to different years isn't always as simple as a spindle swap, on some cars the control arms need to be swapped and as mentioned already all the brake related parts.

I'd make sure the later parts are compatible with your car, has someone already done it? I can see upgrading a 68 to a 69-73 but a 74?

Alan

The only later ones I saw that were less than $125 were 74+
The same lower ball joint is used from 69-73. Converting to different years isn't always as simple as a spindle swap, on some cars the control arms need to be swapped and as mentioned already all the brake related parts.

I'd make sure the later parts are compatible with your car, has someone already done it? I can see upgrading a 68 to a 69-73 but a 74?

Alan
74 lower bolts distance in spindle is same than b or f-bodys. Same spindle in M-bodys?

If use 74-78 spindle, have to chance lower control arm.

Very sadly, everything on the 1967 - 1968 w/ Disc Brakes is V E R Y expensive -- and all by itself..... the 1965 - 1973 Lower Ball Joint EXCEPT 1967 - 1968 w/ Disc is VERY WRONG...
I have the factory R O T O R S and Disc Brake pads and more for the 1967 - 1968 w/ DISC and they're pricey, also....
Yup, you (as many have already) might convert to the 1973 set up.....

Call me stupid but I canNOT see why somebody has not come up with a method to retrofit a more easilly availabe ball joint to that ball joint arm/bracket/doohickey or whatever it is called. Seems like one could press out the junk ball joint, perhaps bore and sleeve the arm and press in a new one. What am I not seeing about these things

Posted via Topify on Android

Then call me stupid....
Someone send me an old one.....

That doesn't look like $400 worth to me.

20ghcev.jpg

Last edited:
I had a pair of unique Aussie only ball joints for my Plymouth redone by a local truck engineering shop and watched them do it, they had a 1000 ton press or some such thing and showed me how, the housing expands from the continual bouncing and pressing down of the inner ball. So they had a cup base made out of three inch thick steel then another tube of thick steel press down from above that pressed the housing back into shape basically and it was done cold. The state government also told me it was an acceptable practice as long as no cuts are made into the housing. So the total time on the job was ten mins and I paid twenty bucks to have it done. i was peachy.

Back