Belt Question

And that leads to more wear, ok. But that's the only downside? Or is there another technical one?
The OEM aternators had output curves that varied from car to car. A/C cars had higher output at idle than non A/C cars as one example. If you use a smaller diameter pulley with an alternator that has a high output at high rpm, you could burn up some stuff.
I am guessing all the rebuilt Alternators out there have a "universal" spec. One size fits all.

Last edited:
The OEM aternators had output curves that varied foim car to car. A/C cars had higher output at idle than non A/C cars as one example. If you use a smaller diameter pulley with an alternator that has a high output at high rpm, you could burn up some stuff.
I am guessing all the rebuilt Alternators out there have a "universal" spec. One size fits all.
In my experience the rebuilds just get whatever was on there or in the parts bucket... new ones, if available, would probably get the one they thought would allow it to bolt on to the most cars.

Smaller diameter wears the belt faster as well.

Relted subject - Rock Auto has Dayco top cog and Continental (Goodyear) A/C / Alt belts for some big block c-bodies on closeout. Just got a set of 15635 for $6 each.

I have a T-code '71 Monaco with the same engine and A/C setup as @ceebuddy's. @71Polara383 has started replacing the belts in my car, and we need more than 59" for the longest belt. That does not mesh with what Summit and O'Reilly suggest for the car. So, we suspect that the alternator is not the same as the original one.

--> Could anyone who still has a 1971 C-body with a T-code 440 and A/C, and still has the original alternator, please:
1. post photos of their engine bay, focusing on the alternator and belts?
2. measure the diameters of the relevant pulleys?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bump. Anyone, please, pretty please?

Last edited:
Here you go. Don't know if any of these will give you what you're looking for. My car is a '70, but the motor is a '71 440. The original owner would not buy the car unless they swapped the original 383 with a 440. That was on August 31, 1971.
IMG_2597.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2602.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG
IMG_2605.JPG

Here you go. (...) My car is a '70, but the motor is a '71 440. The original owner would not buy the car unless they swapped the original 383 with a 440. That was on August 31, 1971.

Thanks a lot! The alternator looks new — did you replace it? If so, what is it?

Thanks a lot! The alternator looks new — did you replace it? If so, what is it?
Yes. I've actually replaced all most all of the ignition and electrical on the car since this picture was taken: alternator, ballast, regulator, CPU for the electronic ignition, as well as the coil. I was having some serious ignition problems. Apparently I caught the Gremlin as it has not happened in 4 years.

As for the Alternator, I just went to my local parts store and bought one. The one in htis picture came from Oildale Auto Parts in Bakersfield, a Car Quest store. The latest one came form Riebe's Auto Parts of Chico, a Napa store. I have never had a problem finding them, new or rebuilt.

The new ballast, regulator, CPU, and coil I bought from Summit.

Back