Bench testing reconditioned power seat and part question? RESOLVED.

sprice

Reaction score
I disassembled everything, top and bottom rails, gear drives, cables and sheaths. All was placed in a ultra sonic cleaner. The gear drives and transmission parts separately in their own bags with fluid. After cleaning the first side, I cleaned replaced the cleaning fluid in the cleaner. At the bottom I found two tapered pins as in the photo by themselves. I couldn't see where these could have come from as the small parts were placed in small bag and they don't look like they went into the rails. I think they are from another part I cleaned at one time. However the second side, not a 100% sure, upon emptying the transmission bag, this small circular, I would call a spacer came out with the other trans parts (right side of picture). It could have been on the bench when i grabbed the parts, not sure. The only place I could think of it going is inside one of the solenoid tubes as its very close to that diameter.

Not able to see where it might go, I reassembled everything for testing. Couple of things are happening. I have all directions working properly except the back (I think) where the springs are located on the rails. both sides budge about 1/4". If I disconnect one side, the spring adjuster will go almost an inch before tripping the probe circuit. It either seems like not enough power, perhaps this spacer is critical and have binding somewhere,
IMG_3656.jpg
IMG_3658.jpg
or the springs are placing too much tension on the adjuster. Any thoughts?

Was the motor. Armature needed cleaning and everything works now.

Last edited:
The motor was drawing 7.3 volts on the probe when operating smoothly. As it struggled, the draw wnet down to 6 volts and then triggered the breaker. I opened it up and am unsure but should those side windings not be all copper colour, not copper and blue? The blue to me is burning. Also had a burnt odor when opened up.
IMG_3659.jpg

Setting a mult meter to its ohm scale and connecting to the motor leads. Try rotating it by hand if there is substantial change in resistance, it may indicate a bad winding. The FSM may give the ohmic value for the armature and or each winding. This of course is done on the bench with no voltage applied. Depending on the meter and current draw of the motor some multi meters can be hooked up in series to measure DC current. Consult your meters instructions for how to do this.

Back