Bias ply wide white wall tires

For our voluntary fire departments they have the order to use them up to ten years AFAIK. That's about the max. I go with my tires as well. Driving behavior in rain suffers mostly with aged tires. Only once bought a car that still had two of the original tires from 1971 on without the DOT date codes that came around 1973, first and second owner still drove arond with these High Speed tires, but I doubt they ever used the potential of the car. Replaced them right after getting it home with correct Michelin repops.

I try to just drive original style bias ply tires. No radials for me.
All my muscles drive on Goodyear speedway redlines or Firestone Sport oval redlines and the 70&up on Goodyear Polyglas (GT) tires.

When getting older tires dry out. That doesn't mean that they always get cracks but the rubber itself hardens and might result in a tire blow up. Having said that some of my tires are up to 30 years old. In my car history I had several tire failures. But they have always been radial tires, no bias ply ever gave up on my cars.

Carsten

Thanks to all for their input.......I have ordered four new General 9.50-14 bias ply 2 1/4" WW for $229 per tire with free shipping to the Iola WI. car show in July. With such good luck with my current set, coupled with price and shipping it was a logical choice.

Back