Bias ply wide white wall tires

Pete Kaczmarski

Reaction score
Just double checking before I spend $1000 on four tires if anyone wants to comment. Twenty five years ago I purchased my 1959 Imperial Custom Coupe and needed tires. I purchased General dual 90 blems from Lucas. Believe it or not they are still on the car and are not weather checked at all. But how far do you want to push your luck. I cannot find one manufacture out there offering blems. So, looking at all of the different ones out there (Lucas, Coker etc) For size 9.50-14 and a wide white wall bias ply is $229-$257 per tire plus shipping. Alittle can be saved by Lucas because they will ship for FREE when they come to the large car show in Iola WI. in the second week of July. Anyone out there have any other comments?

All of the articles I have read says the life of radial tires is about 8 years...whether they were on a car on sitting on a shelf/rack. The answer is that they deteriorate and are not safe after 8 years. I've posted articles and data on previous threads some where on FCBO about tires.

I had a right rear tire self destruct at 50 mph on my NYB this year. That was no fun. That tire was about 10 years old. BTW, when I got the NYB stopped...all I had left was a bare steel wheel.

I would think bias tires are about the same as far as the life of tire is concerned.

I never take a chance on tires, brakes, or steering. That's my .02.

Pete, ever have a genuine true BLOWOUT at highway speeds?
I mean a true Pow WTF OMG!!!!!!!! , not Pffffffffffffftttttttt fwap fwap fwap fwap...
Get new tires.

< Sent from my tablet >

Those are some nice tire sources! I'll have to bookmark them. Thanks!

All of the articles I have read says the life of radial tires is about 8 years...whether they were on a car on sitting on a shelf/rack. The answer is that they deteriorate and are not safe after 8 years. I've posted articles and data on previous threads some where on FCBO about tires.

I had a right rear tire self destruct at 50 mph on my NYB this year. That was no fun. That tire was about 10 years old. BTW, when I got the NYB stopped...all I had left was a bare steel wheel.

I would think bias tires are about the same as far as the life of tire is concerned.

I never take a chance on tires, brakes, or steering. That's my .02.

Bob, the tire manufacturers association sent my shop an email recently, they are telling us to check all tires for Date codes and to erge customers with tires that are 6 years or older to replace them, the treads are having a nasty habit of separating, they are also telling us to check tires when we are installing them to ensure they are not 6 or older, recently some shops and chains were found to have brandnew tires on the shelf that were up to 15 years old.

Just thought I'd add that.

Nick

I saw on the local news, a few teenagers were killed when the van they were in lost control when the tread separated, The father had "New" tires put on it or so he thought, they were actually almost 10 years old and brandnew (never installed).

That made me believe, my tires are all under 3 years old for a reason.

I've been driving for over 40 years......I know better than to drive on old tires. Do what you want but it's stupid to put other people at risk when you lose control of your car with one those old tires blowing out.

I try to just drive original style bias ply tires. No radials for me.
All my muscles drive on Goodyear speedway redlines or Firestone Sport oval redlines and the 70&up on Goodyear Polyglas (GT) tires.

When getting older tires dry out. That doesn't mean that they always get cracks but the rubber itself hardens and might result in a tire blow up. Having said that some of my tires are up to 30 years old. In my car history I had several tire failures. But they have always been radial tires, no bias ply ever gave up on my cars.

Carsten

Back