Black hood?

REJ

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to "For C Bodies Only" and while being a classic Chevy expert, I know little to nothing about Mopars other than in high school, convincing my parents to buy a new '64 Dodge 2 dr ht Polara 500 with 330hp 383. My folks couldn't figure out how come the tires lasted only a few thousand miles!

Last week, I bought a '67 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 dr ht (not the fastback). Sort of a barn find. The car has 29,000 miles with a 325 hp 383, 727, and limited slip. Interestingly, the original window price/option sticker has a line item stating a no-cost body accent strip delete.

I bought the car from the decendants of the original owner. The Fury runs and drives perfect. The interior is very good with almost no wear. The exterior is very good with no dents...chrome and stainless is nearly perfect. My question for all of you who are experts on paint is: the car is a darker red metalic (I haven't looked up the paint code yet) and black vinyl top...but, the hood is satin black. I know some performance Plymouths, and I think Dodges, had black hoods. I am suspect that this is not correct for this car. Any insight out there???

The paint on the car shows 46 years of age with some chips and scratches and needs a new paint job. I want to make sure the black hood is an original item.

Thanks for any and all help...

Hi,

I am new to "For C Bodies Only" and while being a classic Chevy expert,Last week, I bought a '67 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 dr ht (not the fastback). Sort of a barn find. The car has 29,000 miles and limited slip.
I bought the car from the decendants of the original owner. The Fury runs and drives perfect. The interior is very good with almost no wear. The exterior is very good with no dents...chrome and stainless is nearly perfect.
My question, the hood is satin black. I know some performance Plymouths, and I think Dodges, had black hoods. I am suspect that this is not correct for this car. Any insight out there???
Hello.......... And welcome to the world of Mopars..... Always ready to aid a "chevvy" guy in the transformation to the mopar upgrade.
1st thing........ Mopars have "sure grip" diffs..... not limited slips.

To my knowledge the only 67 Plymouth to use black as an accent on the hood was a GTX with the stripe option. And it was not satin...but a paint called "organosol" black. It was a dull finish with a texture.... and a real bear to get right when respraying it.

Someone with more knowledge on 67 Cbodys will likely step up if i'm wrong.

How about some pictures...... We love pictures here....!

Welcome to FCBO. You came to the right place!
Congratulations on such a great score. We love pictures here so make sure you post some up.

No, no Mopar C-body ever came with, or ever had available a black hood. Those were on some A (e.g. Dart/Demon, etc), B (e.g. Roadrunner/GTX, etc) , and E-Bodies (e.g. 70+ Challengers/Barracudas) though.

Yes. Yes.
Yes. No.

k1x847.jpg
316u2ye.jpg

69iadw.jpg
vzu17c.jpg

welcome017.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to the board. I have no expertise in the 67 Fury dept but I have never seen or heard of a option like this on the Fury. The tag and build sheet should hold all your answers..... We need photos

Thanks for the quick response. Yep! your right...the window sticker says "sure grip" differentail. I didn't think Furys had a black hood option. What is strange, I can't find any sign of original red paint anywhere on the bottom of the hood even in the hard to get to spots under the reinforcing structure. It was a woman who originally purchased the car. The lady passed away a number of years ago and the car just sat in an out building. Her son said the car had a black hood as long as he can remember.

I live in West Richland, WA (south eastern part of state). Car was sold new in Grandview, WA at now defunct Anderson Motor Co. and was always within 40 miles of where it was bought. You asked for photos...here they are...probably too many

!Engine.jpgInterior.jpgleft front quarter.jpgleft rear quarter.jpgleft side.jpgOdometer.jpgVIN.jpgWindow sticker.jpgBuild sheet.jpg

Build sheet.jpg

Engine.jpg

Interior.jpg

left front quarter.jpg

left rear quarter.jpg

left side.jpg

Odometer.jpg

VIN.jpg

Window sticker.jpg

Replacement hood from an accident????

Collision replacement parts come in primer. That shiny black hood had to come from a another car unless the painter was a real perfectionist.

Hey, Red. See? NO decal...:poke:

Last edited:
Could be... That is the most logical answer. However, if there was a front end accident, the front of the car and fenders, if involved, are perfectly repaired. Since the black hood has been on the car for at least 35 years, one would think insurance would have covered a new correctly painted hood. Perhaps a hay bail fell on it...and the son, in his youth, rattle canned the hood black before his mother found out...!!! It is a mystery to me.

What is strange, I can't find any sign of original red paint anywhere on the bottom of the hood even in the hard to get to spots under the reinforcing structure.

WOW....... That is one NICE Sport Fury......!!!!

Even when mopar painted black on the hoods of their cars the bottom would still be the main body color. The hood on your car most likely was replaced. I'd get it to a good paint shop and have it color matched to the car.

Gorgeous car, talk about falling into a bucket of **** and coming up with a ham sandwich......she is sweet!!

IF........... and thats IF the hood was originally black the cowl would also be black ..... it serves the car well with its HP heritage, I like it

That is one fine survivor you have there, congrats and welcome to the site from the Motor City!
Can you post a bigger pic of the build sheet?

Wow, that is a nice find! No power brakes, no air, and a sure grip. That's my kind of car!

Back