Bombing around in the beater Imperial

I'm not experiencing any pre-detonation...what year 440 do you have that doesn't run well on 87?

'70. When gas gets real expensive I try to run 91 and even that is hit or miss depending what station i go to. On a hot summer day it detonates till the cows come home.

Beautiful location/car, reminds me of the tv show Fargo. There are folks who would be over the moon to have a 'beater' Imperial like yours. :thumbsup:

Thanks crv, I appreciate that. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "beater" in the title. More like all weather daily driver. I might move along fairly fast down some deserted backroads, but I've never floored it from a dead stop or even tried to do a burnout on dry pavement. The sheer size of this thing makes enough of a statement, I don't need to try racing anyone. So I'm not really beating on it. Even though the front and rear window frames need repair, and every body panel has either a dent or rust, the underneath of this car is solid. The floors, trunk, and bottoms of door are in very good shape. Eventually I do plan to make it a respectable 20 footer, but for now it's a running work-in-progress.

Last edited:
@BLIMP the Imperial in Fargo is a 73 2dr painted in JY6 (Golden Haze Metallic, same as Doc´s McGoldy), it has a white vinyl top (V1W) and leather buckets (MRXW). It´s a nice Imp for sure!

244952-f928fd19f55f531b81400072dd2c97a0.jpg

Yeah>I remember!Jeffrey Donovan from burn notice.Instead of a charger I would have an Imperial 2 door In red with a Fury GT 6pack 440 under the hood.I would run down the tuner kids in their shitty little hatch backs and rear end them off the road!!Of course there would be monaco brougham police package battering ram on the front of the car when hot pursuit is called for,heh.I can see it now.heh. I love this site.B.B

The previous owner (Waginator) mentioned that at one point he needed to replace the entire axle. He bought and had one shipped from a junkyard in the Southwest that parted out an Imperial. Not sure on the model year it was pulled from, but if I'm to believe the tag it's a 3.23. And if it's a sure-grip something is malfunctioning, because in the snow it only spins one tire.
20180411_154401.jpg

Last edited:
I also see ``3.23``, which means that the ratio is correct for 72-73 Imperials because they were not available with other rear axle ratios.

It's ironic that you asked because on Sunday I bought this 742 carrier that is optioned with the clutch type Dana "Power-lok" sure-grip. Blimp was difficult to get going on any type of incline in the snow and ice. This should do the trick. :D
20190205_110938.jpg
20190205_111018.jpg
20190205_111000.jpg

Last edited:
I assume the ratio is 2.76:1 based on the tag.

Yessir it is, should be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes on the highway. I'm going to guess that the numbers stamped 2 8 65 is the date when the ring was machined.
20190205_111204.jpg

In the process of ordering a rebuild kit for it too.
Screenshot_20190205-120943.jpg

Suburban Driveline, Inc.
747 West North Ave
Villa Park, IL 60181

Phone: (630) 941-7101
Fax: (630) 941-8458

Back