Boom

Many years ago, I was bracket racing the Super Bee at Union Grove Dragway in Wisconsin and I had a U-joint explode, the driveshaft dug in to the pavement, lifted the rear of the car, driveshaft comes out and shatters the left rear Cragar and I skidded on the Jersey Wall the rest of the way down the 1/4 mile.

Sorry about this mishap. Must scared the hell out of both of you and glad neither of you were hurt. How much damage to the other car? Will be interested in knowing what caused it.

The obvious answer is that something to the rear of the tail-shaft locked up at speed. The tail-shaft is the weakest component of the 727. Most likely is that you dropped a tooth on the rear end.

Dave

A failure of the bushing that the slip yoke rides in might cause that, but it would seem that you would have noticed a vibration before it failed.
Glad y'all are OK.

Sorry to hear Dave! That sucks! Am also glad you guys are ok. Sounds like a pretty harry situation. Driveshaft went into another car, ehh??

My guardian angel is always there when I'm in need

I can't believe what I am reading - there really is something more than science then?! Sometimes unplanned, unwanted events in our lives reveal our real thoughts. I knew there was hope for you, you rascal! :poke: :)

Really glad that no one was hurt as well and your car at least got away pretty much unscathed.

Last edited:
There really isnt much in the tail shaft to cause this... I would have expected you to feel or hear something if the bushing was going to seize or the bearing come apart. The ujoint should have given noise or vibration too... :wtf:

86.jpg
Whatever It Takes Transmission Parts
https://www.wittrans.com/parts?type=A727
Really glad you got through this safely, I hope the car hasn't been hurt too much when you check her out in the day light. Maybe you'll have enough pieces left to decide what the cause was...

I can't believe what I am reading - there really is something more than science then?! Sometimes unplanned, unwanted events in our lives reveal our real thoughts. I knew there was hope for you, you rascal! :poke: :)

Really glad that no one was hurt as well and your car at least got away pretty much unscathed.

I knew that would get a rise from you....

The obvious answer is that something to the rear of the tail-shaft locked up at speed. The tail-shaft is the weakest component of the 727. Most likely is that you dropped a tooth on the rear end.

Dave

That's curious, why?

Wow Dave, really sorry to see this, ouch!:wideyed:
That must've made a hell of a noise!

When I saw the Boom title I figured that can't be good. Glad you are safe. Hope it doesn't take to much to get it back on the road.

Was that a numbers matching trans? Hopefully the main case survived the trauma.

Holy crap! I've never seen anything like that before! Glad you two are ok, doesn't look like the car suffered much, but it could be repaired. Did your car have that U shaped brace that bolts in just behind the front seat? I would have thought that if in place it would have prevented the drive shaft from dropping at least.

My assumption is that you will take it to a reputable transmission shop to diagnosis and estimate? Or will you just treat this as one of life's mysteries and swap in another one? Those pictures are amazing and scary. If it was me I'd like to know exactly what happened. Running these old cars is a constant learning experience.

Back