Buying a used car in Massachusetts

71Newp

Reaction score
I would be buying from a private party and am wondering if the plates stay on the car? Is it possible to get a temp registration to drive it to Maine?

It depends on the state your buying it in. The father in law had to register the sporty in MD when he bought it, and then register it when he got it back home here in MI.

I would be buying from a private party and am wondering if the plates stay on the car? Is it possible to get a temp registration to drive it to Maine?

Mmm. If the seller would be willing to let you drive the car home on his plates, then you could mail them back to him when you get home, I've done that before.. I would also speak to your DMV to see if they'll issue you temp plates for transporting, but think you'd had to have purchased the car already and have insurance on it as well.

Transport plates @$15 in the state of Maine...Get an insurance card for the car you are purchasing - go your town BMV and get your temp transport plate to bring with you to Mass.

Every selling state is different, every buying state is different.
I recently purchased a truck in Washington State where the sellers keep the plates (it was a dealer so no holding on to the plates) and I was going to California where you have to have an application in process, fees paid and smog check done to even get a temp. The dealer put a 3 day temp on the truck and gave me a blank to fill out as I wanted (I didn't use it). Needless to say after 3 days I was still in Oregon and wasn't able to get the registration completed in the three days. I just pulled the temp and ran with no plates, it still took me about 6 weeks to get a temp from California and another couple to get the plates.

Alan

Last edited:
Why are you wasting all this time with people who cant give you the correct answer to a question that has a lot of variables when it's a phone call away.

Maine.

Mass.
The answer I gave above is accurate - I have purchased 2 automobiles from out of state in the last 12 months .....get proof of insurance coverage - then pay a small fee for a transport plate.... It couldn't be any more simple!

The answer I gave above is accurate - I have purchased 2 automobiles from out of state in the last 12 months .....get proof of insurance coverage - then pay a small fee for a transport plate.... It couldn't be any more simple!

Thanks to all for your replies, I greatly appreciate all the helpful people on this site. Yes, some replies were more to the point than others, but reading the replies here was A LOT more interesting (and quicker!!) than the hold "Muzack" from the MA state DMV!!!!. Thanks to both C1 and Move n up. The web sites were helpful, and Move n up's reply told exactly where to go to get the answer I needed, ( took less than 20 minutes - round trip!)

Back