C-Body Holy Grail Restoration Starts Here; 1970 6BBL GT

Reall

Really...

So when the car came shod with Road Wheels and RWL, they put in a pinstripe WW on a black steely as a spare?
The car came with 4 road wheels, 1 steely spare and 2 more steely rims for snow tires. The factory rubber was 5 of those H70x15 tires.

The white GT came with a black steel rim and an H 70 15 rwl polyglas tire. When the original owner discovered no road wheel spare he returned immediatly to the dealer and demanded a matching road wheel, trim ring and wheel center in case he ever had a flat. The center cap was never mounted since the spare is secured in the trunk through the center hole. That center is still in the mopar box in the trunk of my car.

The white GT came with a black steel rim and an H 70 15 rwl polyglas tire. When the original owner discovered no road wheel spare he returned immediatly to the dealer and demanded a matching road wheel, trim ring and wheel center in case he ever had a flat. The center cap was never mounted since the spare is secured in the trunk through the center hole. That center is still in the mopar box in the trunk of my car.
The knowledge here is downright scary. Thank you. Wow.

Very cool,....that confirms what Dick Chrysler said.

NOS tires? From 1970? Are they roadworthy?
You bet,.....I'm going to run them with tubes, and use them for show and short trips,...simply because they aren't making these and they are very hard to find.

I have friends who run NOS or vintage used tires all the time. Using a tube helps in volumes, not only for leaks but for support.

You bet,.....I'm going to run them with tubes, and use them for show and short trips,...simply because they aren't making these and they are very hard to find.

I have friends who run NOS or vintage used tires all the time. Using a tube helps in volumes, not only for leaks but for support.
Even so be super careful if the road is slippery due to rain, etc. These old tires get very stiff and the tread is very stiff and don't have much traction. I read recently that the car that killed Paul Walker had 10 year old tires with virtually no traction.

I'd be worried about the tread delaminating and beating the hell out of the body. It happened to me and it's not worth the risk. Didn't have a blowout just lost the tread, made horrifying sound as my wheelhouse and fender were getting pummeled.

Isn't that why MA had this style booster in a B, why not a C?

View attachment 67878
A very similar booster was used with C-discs in 70, perhaps 69. C-bodies used different pedal bracket assemblies between MB and PB, and some of the other car lines did not, so a different leverage bracket setup was required for them. I've seen that bracketry in some B-bodies and A-bodies, and as a PB retrofit for Cbodies. Don't know if that's the case here relating to fitting a Hemi, though.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Any updates for us to follow along with this car?

Dave
Thanks for asking Dave. I've been busy with customer restorations and other projects, but I have secured a NON A/C front cowl, and floors for parts and repairs. I'll be stripping the tub soon for dipping soon. Then the metal work begins!

I've been gathering parts,...wheels, NOS heater stuff, bumpers etc., what I can find. All parts will be dated and matched!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, when I first saw the pic I thought what the heck happened to the car then I scrolled down to the captions and now it all makes since.

One could say that,...........but then again remember ONE tire is $400 x 5. They are not cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion the car HAS to have them, it has to be correct.....so I cashed in my tiny 401K to do all of this,........seriously.

A good many of the Fury GT's and S23's came standard with the fully painted argent road wheels (W21). Did your car originally come with the (W23) chrome road wheels?

How's the resto coming along?

Thanks for asking Tom.

It's coming along. I'm still striping the body of EVERYTHING. Which takes time, to photograph, document and save. I have to work, and do customers cars first,...the GT has to wait sometimes.

We are having the body, and all associated parts, doors, fenders, hood, decklid dipped and hot tanked. That should happen in December.

Other than that,...I'm collecting parts that I can afford. This kind of restoration does end up being quite costly, but that's what it takes!

A good many of the Fury GT's and S23's came standard with the fully painted argent road wheels (W21). Did your car originally come with the (W23) chrome road wheels?

Good question,....I'll look on the Broadcast sheet and let you know.

On a side note,....I spoke with the original owner of the 6BBL GT the other day, he installed a factory Certified Speedometer that he got from his best friend that was police detective in his town. They ordered it from Chrysler in 1970, but it was missing when I got the car.

Back