C-body Rear main seal thread

Thanks Bob! It's not done yet but I'm sure it will be by midweek. I was hoping to be able to lend a hand but I'm just way too busy. I think I'll take it to the CEMA show on the 7th as my dad has expressed interest in driving the Challenger to the show, I'm sure he misses it.

I've run into a few of the guys that he used to volunteer with at the museum at the last show I attended and they were very interested to know how he was. They also asked me if I thought he'd be interested in volunteering the day of the show. I told my dad that and I think it got him thinking about it. I'm excited that he wants to be there and I'm also very much looking forward to having my Imp at the show.

No but once it's drivable again I'm taking it to John R Spring to let them tell me what they can do and for how much.

Matt, let's see some pictures please of the undercarriage of your survivor Imp when you're doing the rear main.

I'm hoping to be able to have time to see it on the lift with my own eyes but I'll see what I can do.

Is there any go to brand for the rear main seal? I was looking at the Mr. Gasket 1968, the Fel-Pro 2947, and the Mopar Performance P4271961. Those were the ones that led up on my Summit search anyway...

Mopar Performance first or Fel Pro (those are good too).

I wouldn't use the Mr Gasket seal.

The leak is fixed and I'm driving it to the museum show tomorrow!:wtg:
more details and pics from the show tomorrow.

That's great!!! Those damn BB rear main seals can make even the most hardened, grizzled men cry like little girls.

Good to hear Matt. One of the most dreaded jobs for auto enthusiast. Enjoy.:woohoo:

Ok so here's what was done. Removed billet housing from Mancini's and went with good old Ma Mopar oem casting which I should never have doubted. Used standard Fel Pro lip seal and offset it by a couple of degrees, 440 source silicone side seals and gray permatex at all mating surfaces between housing and block.

I never thought of offsetting the seal! I have to remember that!

Interesting, we just did mine today (on the stand). He just filled the side grooves with Permatex Ultra Black and coated the block with a film. Once it was installed he filled the recess on the back. He said that this works, done!

Alan

There's more than one way to skin a cat, sorry Stan...

Back