Can you ID this AC compressor and brackets?

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This is one of parts that I had because someone gave it to me. I pulled it out to see if it would donate a clutch for a 1973 SB V8. It would not. Then I thought, "What engine would this strange rear bracket attach to? My knowledge of AC being extremely limited. I thought I'd ask the experts.
3 prong pulley
1.jpg

Tapered/keyed input shaft
2.jpg

Unknown pulley on left, 1973 3-prong on right
3.jpg

Unknown pulley, clutch area much more shallow. Clutch is about half width of my 1973 clutch
4.jpg

Rear bracket: looks strange to me. What engine would this attach to?
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

BB mopar 1968 and older had that bracket that went across the front of the intake. I have a 1962 that has a clutch like that.

one head has the aluminum tag, look on the other head to see if there is a black painted tag held on with the head bolts, it will have a date stamped on it.

My 67 300 drop top has that engine compartment clogging nightmare. Now resting comfortably on a shelf in my garage. Good place.
Cam (shaft)

Definitely big block, B engine bracket would be a little shorter than RB engine.

Definitely looks like a 68 assembly, my Newport has factory A/C - the bracket here looks the same as mine. If you asked me, I can understand why they made it so firm, but at the same time, it does seem a bit excessive to have so many brackets...

BB mopar 1968 and older had that bracket that went across the front of the intake. I have a 1962 that has a clutch like that.

one head has the aluminum tag, look on the other head to see if there is a black painted tag held on with the head bolts, it will have a date stamped on it.
I will look for the tag. Rusty unit. Legible, who knows? Thanks.
Definitely big block, B engine bracket would be a little shorter than RB engine.
Hi Matt
Would casting number determine which?
Thanks, Ben

I will look for the tag. Rusty unit. Legible, who knows? Thanks.

Hi Matt
Would casting number determine which?
Thanks, Ben
The intake bolts are roughly 9” apart on a B engine and 10” on an RB.

Back