Carpet

carguy300

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good after market carpet manufacturer with good quality material for my 300? Ive been looking on internet, found 2-3, just dont know which one might be best for quality and cost.

ACC is the only vendor in the US doing molded carpet. There's a couple others, but that carpet is cut and sown, and IMHO, it looks awful.

If you can't get it in a 4 speed, you may be able to use a heat gun and recontour that area. I had a 4 speed carpet that I put in an automatic car that I had to do that with. Turned out fine.

My preferred vendor is Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors

and my tips for install are to not cut anything at the rocker or under the dash (or leave it long) until the seats and belts are in. Also use an old soldering iron (or a cheap new one) to make any holes like the seat belts, seats, dimmer etc.. I've done several and they always turn out pretty good when I do it that way... I've seen far too many carpets that are short on the sides or the area around any holes are fraying.

ACC is the only vendor in the US doing molded carpet. There's a couple others, but that carpet is cut and sown, and IMHO, it looks awful.

If you can't get it in a 4 speed, you may be able to use a heat gun and recontour that area. I had a 4 speed carpet that I put in an automatic car that I had to do that with. Turned out fine.

My preferred vendor is Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors

and my tips for install are to not cut anything at the rocker or under the dash (or leave it long) until the seats and belts are in. Also use an old soldering iron (or a cheap new one) to make any holes like the seat belts, seats, dimmer etc.. I've done several and they always turn out pretty good when I do it that way... I've seen far too many carpets that are short on the sides or the area around any holes are fraying.
Thanks for that tidbit! I was wondering how, what would be the easiest way to cut out holes for seatbelts and such.

Soldiering iron. Find where you need the hole, be damn sure, then punch a hole with the iron. No little frayed strings or anything to deal with. The first hole is the most nerve wracking. After that, it just goes....

I’m wondering why the aftermarket carpet makers don’t include the dimmer switch grommet and hole …

Good Afternoon
I believe that from the factory there was no grommet. Just the dimmer sticking through the carpet.
Omni

Good Afternoon
I believe that from the factory there was no grommet. Just the dimmer sticking through the carpet.
Omni
I'm almost positive the '66 I owned in 1989 had a grommet for the dimmer switch . . .

I'm almost positive the '66 I owned in 1989 had a grommet for the dimmer switch . . .
I have seen it both ways. IIRC, my '65 Barracuda had a grommet, but I swapped out several later (68-69) B-bodies that didn't have it. That's just a couple examples. It could be year, assembly line... or even making up for a bad cut on the line. Could even be added after the fact if the threads were getting caught in the switch (I've had that happen more than once)

They don't locate it because you really need to jockey the carpet around for best fit to the sides and under the dash. It's easier to cut (I burn them with soldering iron) those dimmer and seat belt holes after you have it all fitted. That plus those dimmer switches aren't exactly precision mounted at the factory. If you look at original bolts, they are self drilling/tapping sheet metal screws. They had some dimples in the floor, but I don't believe that there were actually holes punched in the sheet metal.

Imagine if you will, you've been working 8-12 hours a day on the line and your job is to lean in and attach the dimmer switch... Would you hit the dimple every time? They didn't do that stuff with robots back then.

I have seen it both ways. IIRC, my '65 Barracuda had a grommet, but I swapped out several later (68-69) B-bodies that didn't have it. That's just a couple examples. It could be year, assembly line... or even making up for a bad cut on the line. Could even be added after the fact if the threads were getting caught in the switch (I've had that happen more than once)

They don't locate it because you really need to jockey the carpet around for best fit to the sides and under the dash. It's easier to cut (I burn them with soldering iron) those dimmer and seat belt holes after you have it all fitted. That plus those dimmer switches aren't exactly precision mounted at the factory. If you look at original bolts, they are self drilling/tapping sheet metal screws. They had some dimples in the floor, but I don't believe that there were actually holes punched in the sheet metal.

Imagine if you will, you've been working 8-12 hours a day on the line and your job is to lean in and attach the dimmer switch... Would you hit the dimple every time? They didn't do that stuff with robots back then.
Good stuff Big John, thank you. A ‘66 Chrysler is definitely NOT precision engineered, but I love mine regardless!

Back