Checking out a 66 300

Jimmyse23

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to check out a 66 300 hard top 2 door. Any advice on problem areas to check out. I already know it's got a small bit of rust behind the drivers side rear wheel but it looks clean otherwise. It's got buckets and a console and is supposedly running and driving decent. Like I said, just looking for advice and areas the experts might know about.

James

Put the car on a lift. Then, poke around with a pencil to see if anybody sprayed undercoating over rusty sheet metal.

I'll certainly poke around, but I'm not going to have access to a lift. If the Craigslist add were active I'd put a link up but it expired.

From experience....

Fuel Gauge
Ammeter bypassed?
Skirts
Taillights
Trunk where it meets the quarter
Console lid
Passenger side front floor by kick panel
Washer bottle
Front turn signal lenses
Hood ornament trunk ornament
Burnt bulkhead connector
Single or dual resovoir master cylinder
Wheels are correct watch for D/S being Left Hand Threads
Jack and spare
Backs of seats are good
Heater control works fan operates

All stuff Ive either fixed or replaced so far on mine

And after all that really good advice,,,,,,price

Nice looking car if everything works as it should. There's nothing as expensive as a cheap Chrysler (cheap car in general).

Hope it comes home with you.

Well me too. I'm getting up at 5 am to meet the guy at 8. It's a 2 and some change hour drive. I'm excited to check it out. I've been eyeing it for about a month. This site has certainly been a great reference point for info.

Don't muck around , just buy this car. I tried to buy this car , but he has it stored in one place and he lives in another and I just got the run around . This car is a really good one i know it . 66 300s this original don't come up anymore this reasonable and are on the rise value wise . The full floor shift , column, vac guage , blank dash etc is worth at least $ 2000 . If you don't buy it I will happily buy it from you if you end up with it . regards james nascoman@optusnet.com.au

Looks very nice. Hopefully no more rust than you've said and you bring it home. Good luck!

I would be looking at the stub frame for rot, depending on your skill level at repair this could be a deal breaker.

My car is a Washington state car with 0 rust and 150K miles on it. Take 45 100 dollar bills but only show him 38 of them to start.

Taillights and cornering lights in the bumper on these cars are difficult to find as they are 1-year-only. Be prepared to pay $100+ easily for a used light/bezel.

Pics coming soon... Picked it up for 4K. Tail lights are good. Super clean. Trunk pan and floor pan look great.

Pics coming soon... Picked it up for 4K. Tail lights are good. Super clean. Trunk pan and floor pan look great.

Awesome news good for you! Please post some pics and set up a garage and a restoration thread so we can follow your progress for posterity...man I guess I should start that someday....

Back