For Sale considering this purchase. Please advise. 70 300 Vert. (Not Mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

75LandYacht

Yank Tank
Reaction score
Contact seller
Good day fellas. Im considering this 300, but before I make contact, id like to ask you guys to offer some opinions regarding the listing info. Asking price, potential issues etc.... Ive never had a convertible of this vintage before and would like to know what to look for..

Appreciate your input.

(Not Mine)

John

$12,0001970 Chrysler 300 ConvertibleBala Cynwyd, PA99K miles

1703343400341.png

1970 Chrysler 300 convertible, 440 engine automatic transmission, loaded car, power windows, power locks, cruise air conditioning, buckets and console steel road wheels, New Yorker, cornering, lights, etc.Ran, drove and stopped not that long ago. Been sitting too long now think the points are dirty need to be cleaned or replaced, cranks but won’t start. Always garaged.Have some extra NOS parts included.

Good car to start with,but with what I noticed the asking price is high.
Interior is the most expensive to do. Being a convertible, the seats are highly visible.
Interior when done right can cost up to 4 or 5 grand.
New top, I am guessing 2 to 3 grand installed?
Getting the mechanichals roadworthy ( fuel system,braking system, electrical) can take another 2-3 grand.
Tires 800.00
Basically you can double your cost.
Not running, I would offer 7500 and tow it home.
Gas tank probably gone stale, carb need rebuilding, tires rotten or just old.
The pics of the car on the hoist are helpful but poor shots and angles.
Csnt really see floor pans snd frame rails all that well.

Looks like the price is high to me based on the rust & general condition. Look for rust in the car due to it being a convertible it's going to have some if it spent much of its life outdoors. Use this for a comparison price wise (yes it's not a convert not the same model I get it). A convertible is cool but brings its own set of issue. I owned a 72 LTD & while fun it was a PIA & that was in California!).

Somebody spent some cash buying this car in’70. Looking at the window sticker, most boxes were checked off, quite loaded. If you decide to look at it, I would advise that you take out the spare and take out the trunk mat, this is a rust prone area, the tops didn’t keep water out of the trunk, especially if it was stored outside for any length of time. If the floor is rotted, you can bet the top of the gas tank is shot too.

I agree with previous posts. You could get into allot issues but if it's what you want? Just remember, you'll most likely not make any money, you just have to factor in your fun with it. On the plus side, the window sticker is great. The HD suspension is not something you see very often and allot of other neat options.

If you want to collect and restore old Mopar "C" bodies you need to have more money than brains or time on your hands.
Hobbies cost money and these cars can use up a lot of it quickly. You will most likely be upside down on these cars even if you got one for free.

So, do you want a hobby that you can enjoy or an investment (not a "C" body)? :lol:

FYI - The engine rebuild (505 stroker) in my 69 Chrysler cost more than the car did and it was a driver to start with. I'm many more times upside down on it since then, but you can't put a price on a good time!

IMG_4657.JPEG

What are your plans for it if you purchase it? $12,000 seems too high for a car that does not run. Like said above I would offer $7500 and tow it home. If you do your own mechanical work, then you could keep the cost down to just parts. If the floors are not all rusted out that would be a big plus. For $12,000 I would expect to get a car in a little better condition that runs and drives.

IMHO, the car has a lot going for it. Nice color combo and very well equipped. T code too.

The rust is in typical places for a fuselage and if that's the only places, not too hard to repair.

Legendary does make the seat covers and a top won't be hard to source.

It's a little pricey as it sits.. C-body vert prices are all over the map these days and it is a desirable model.

So, if you are OK with a project, and the floors, trunk and stub frame look good, it could be a great car. If you can get the car running as is, it could be a fun car with a little clean up and not worry about the cosmetics. Paint and bodywork is going to be $$$, but that's the same with other cars too. I've known guys to drive convertibles with ratty tops for years too.

This isn't a car you want to buy without looking at it, but I think you know that. I'd like to see the car saved...

If I lived close enough, I would go there and try and see if I could get to fire up, then ck underside and trunk and offer $10,000. I think it does have a lot of potential if the motors good. It is a hobby and can be a passion to save these classics which involves money and time! Its all according to what you want. I spent 4500 on my present 300, cost 3000 to get it shipped from cali to texas, been putting money alittle at a time in putting back together and making it run. Been having a lot of fun and frustration but the guys on this site have helped all the way. Again its what want. Merry Christmas Y'all!

In 2019 I picked up arguably the coolest 70 Polara Vert ever made.

Engine stuck
Top toast
Rusty quarters and floors

I had to go through the entire car mechanically. Fuel system. Cooling system. Brakes. Swapped the drivetrain with a known good one. Tires. Wheels. Full TTI exhaust. ETC.

Also fixed the floors up and replaced the carpet.

They were asking 14k as seen here...I got the car for under 10k and brought it back to life for Carlisle in 2020.

It looks like you MAY only need to do half of what it took for me to get mine on the road. Thats a major bonus. Good colors and options. Also a bonus.

I'm not going to say the car is overpriced, because someone might come along that HAS TO have it...

It's worth a look, after a month of being listed, I'm sure a reasonable offer would be considered. I got mine less than 48 hours after being listed and people were BLOWING the sellers up.

Hope my story helps you make your decision

20191003_124917.jpg
20191003_124929.jpg
20191003_130257.jpg
20191003_124703.jpg

Problem areas to check. Pull back the carpet and check for rust. Another bad place is the trunk floor pan. Pull the trunk matt back and examine the entire trunk floor including the areas of the quarter panels inside the trunk down to the pinch welds. There is also a drainage tray for the convertible top. Examine for holes and heavy rusting. While you are there check the dutchman panel area from underneath for rust and/or repairs. Any questions PM me.

In 2019 I picked up arguably the coolest 70 Polara Vert ever made.

Engine stuck
Top toast
Rusty quarters and floors

I had to go through the entire car mechanically. Fuel system. Cooling system. Brakes. Swapped the drivetrain with a known good one. Tires. Wheels. Full TTI exhaust. ETC.

Also fixed the floors up and replaced the carpet.

They were asking 14k as seen here...I got the car for under 10k and brought it back to life for Carlisle in 2020.

It looks like you MAY only need to do half of what it took for me to get mine on the road. Thats a major bonus. Good colors and options. Also a bonus.

I'm not going to say the car is overpriced, because someone might come along that HAS TO have it...

It's worth a look, after a month of being listed, I'm sure a reasonable offer would be considered. I got mine less than 48 hours after being listed and people were BLOWING the sellers up.

Hope my story helps you make your decision

View attachment 634222View attachment 634223View attachment 634224View attachment 634225
Im not sure if my thumb bumped the RedX but it was a mistake!!!

Im not sure if my thumb bumped the RedX but it was a mistake!!!
No Dave is just being Dave. He has it in his mind that my vert is no where close to arguably the coolest 70...and that's fine, he's entitled to his opinion, but he is not entitled to his own facts.
:drama:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back