Convertible carpet question

Jim 68cuda

Reaction score
I'm ready to order carpet for my 66 Polara convertible. Auto Custom Carpet, Legendary, Stock Interiors, Classic Industries, and Rock Auto all say the carpet they have is for hardtops and sedans, not convertibles. Some specifically say "will not fit convertible". Any suggestions?

ebay item number 363413226140 is an acc vendor that has carpet for 2 or 4 door hardtop and convertible. i would think that since the wheelbase didnt change the carpets would be the same. you may have to cut the back portion more on the convertible but the front should all be the same.
hope this helps.
tom

Because the rear seat is a little narrower in the convertible, the rear carpet has to be a little longer to cover the floor on the shelf (for want of a better name) that the rear seat sits on.

Someone here went through this with a fuselage 'vert and dealt with Stock Interiors and IIRC, they worked it out. Stock Interiors seems to be able to work more with ACC, or at least has a lot more experience. It's worth a call.

The other suggestion is to buy some extra yardage and use that to extend the rear carpet where needed. That's been done by someone here also.

And FYI, ACC is the only manufacturer making molded carpet, so it's all coming from the same place.

I bought a new carpet from ACC for my 65 Sport Fury Convert a few years ago. I had to trim it in a few spots but it fit perfectly.

On my 67 Barracuda Fastback I just used a piece of the original carpet, you barely see it.

Alan

what appears to be the case is that even though the ACC carpet in its standard form will not have the extra tails for alongside the rear seat and therefore not fit, certain vendors claim to have sufficient clout to special order their carpets cut a bit longer so that they will work...of course these vendors are the ones with higher prices...and it will probably take longer cause the carpet is made to order for them rather than grabbed off a shelf...but no, i haven't ordered mine yet so i cant swear to this...

Last edited:
For whatever its worth, this "black" carpet was originally from a hardtop, and the red is what I ordered that was described as fitting a convertible. They look pretty similar to me, but the black was original 1965 factory carpet. Maybe the ACC stuff is cut shorter?

1965 Chrysler old carpet 06 22 2019 b.JPG

1965 Chrysler new carpet 06 23 2019 b.JPG

I know the seat is narrower, but it seems like the fiberglass side panels cover most of that area anyway don't they?

1965 Chrysler new seats 05 23 2020 a.jpg

I got mine from Dante's Mopar Parts in 2019. Don't remember how the price compared to anyone else, but I do know the seat covers were considerably cheaper than anywhere else including direct from Legendary, so you might check them out.

For whatever its worth, this "black" carpet was originally from a hardtop, and the red is what I ordered that was described as fitting a convertible. They look pretty similar to me, but the black was original 1965 factory carpet. Maybe the ACC stuff is cut shorter?

View attachment 629695

View attachment 629696

I know the seat is narrower, but it seems like the fiberglass side panels cover most of that area anyway don't they?

View attachment 629697

I got mine from Dante's Mopar Parts in 2019. Don't remember how the price compared to anyone else, but I do know the seat covers were considerably cheaper than anywhere else including direct from Legendary, so you might check them out.
Thats what I was thinking too. The 4 door carpet is longer on the ends to extend around the curved ends of a 4 door's back seat. I was considering a 4 door carpet for that reason. but wasn't sure if that would be factory cut for a B pillar.

Pretty interior by the way.

went through this last year, found a company at chrysler carlisle, don't remember who but i asked and they said would be fine. Wrong, took extra material that wouldn't be seen be back, and used that.
no else knows. good luck!!

I'm ready to order carpet for my 66 Polara convertible. Auto Custom Carpet, Legendary, Stock Interiors, Classic Industries, and Rock Auto all say the carpet they have is for hardtops and sedans, not convertibles. Some specifically say "will not fit convertible". Any suggestions?
My recollection is that there is a company out there that does produce a convertible carpet - the sizes do not match between hardtop and convertible - went through this with 66 300.

My recollection is that there is a company out there that does produce a convertible carpet - the sizes do not match between hardtop and convertible - went through this with 66 300.
There WAS a company.

Trim Parts was my go-to and I bought a carpet for my 'vert that fit great. They were bought by ACC.

I have the same car, got carpet but asked for the it not to be trimmed before shipping so there was some extra. Fit fine just some wrinkling over the driveshaft hump. I think it was ACC I can check my receipts if u want let me know

Back