Convertible tops , Boots and well liners

Allow me to help convertible owners on the board looking to install a new top.....

Please, look at the old top on Missouri. The top trim on the back top bow stops as it turns over the roof line...WRONG!

ImQ1Ia6YR1.jpg

Look below at the car affectionately known as Adleen. This car wears her original top. The top trim on the rear bow extends down the side of the top to cover the material under the rear bow.

IMG_9401.jpg

The new top trim was installed incorrectly on Missouri. The installers reasoning was that the trick of the trade was to roll the " trim tool" down to the end and stop. However it stops about 5" short. He said he's been doing it that way for 30 years. I said " well you've been doing it wrong ".
I asked him to redo it correctly to which he happily obliged .

20200711_063036.jpg

I noticed while at Carlisle 99% of convertible tops had this bow trim wrong.
I also noticed all of the replacement tops except one in my registry were wrong.

Guys, please, take my experience and use it wisely. Bring the trim all the way down the bow.

I will let all know about the top boot once received.

Thank you for pointing that out Dave! Mine is destroyed but it indeed matches Adleens. I will make sure when I have the top done it is done exactly like that.

20200707_021100.jpg

Here is Poppy on the day when I bought her, after she’d spent almost 33 years in a garage. Not the best pictures, and not detailed of course.

Original top with just 31,208 miles (March 2018). Looks just like Adleen’s.

22699834-B755-4B10-B636-F0896B60A768.png

D3043AE6-4110-40AF-ADB5-42F326ADC171.png

Last edited:
Here is Poppy on the day when I bought her, after she’d spent almost 33 years in a garage. Original top; 31,208 miles in the clock. Looks just like Adleen’s.

View attachment 389489

View attachment 389495

Right, I know you were considering a replacement real soon. I feel its a detail that goes unnoticed. I'd wager if you got a replacement without warning you wouldn't have noticed the incorrect detail.

Right, I know you were considering a replacement real soon. I feel its a detail that goes unnoticed. I'd wager if you got a replacement without warning you wouldn't have noticed the incorrect detail.
I would have on mine...I can see the little chrome cover flapping in the wind in the side view mirror. I feel like if it was higher I would notice. But now I know to make sure it extends lower.

Right, I know you were considering a replacement real soon.
Now that I've put almost 3k miles in 2 years on Poppy, I've decided to drive her less often and instead to drive my other (higher-miles) C-bodies. As such, since Poppy's top is still fully operational and water-tight, I may keep her fully original. But then, Snow may need one.

I feel its a detail that goes unnoticed.
I'd wager if you got a replacement without warning you wouldn't have noticed the incorrect detail.

I appreciate the thoughtfulness... While I research everything pretty thoroughly before changing anything, it's nice to have the research done for me :D

Here are a few more correct ones. The blue Polara is @Jon Tessier 's car (don't know if the top is original), the red car is not an FCBO member's but has been discussed here before (the top is clearly original and fraying at the edges).

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 4.58.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 4.58.06 PM.png

Last edited:
I Disagree, Jons top trim needs to come down another 1-2 inches. You can see the bulge below the chrome tip.
I'm betting the same on the white top as that photo is not convincing enough for me to be original.
Show me more

I Disagree, Jons top trim needs to come down another 1-2 inches. You can see the bulge below the chrome tip.
I'm betting the same on the white top as that photo is not convincing enough for me to be original.
Show me more

What do you think of the possibility that the 1st shift line worker at Belvidere that installed them did it differently then the guy on 2nd shift?

Were they all exactly the same.... every time?

There has to be a minimum and maximum measurement and as long as they were within spec it was good enough back then.

What do you think of the possibility that the 1st shift line worker at Belvidere that installed them did it differently then the guy on 2nd shift?

Were they all exactly the same.... every time?

There has to be a minimum and maximum measurement and as long as they were within spec it was good enough back then.

Tough to say, great question. There is not enough original tops around to know. Yours was in the same spot as mine and the other originals I've seen end there also. I must presume there was a protocol and perhaps a small tolerance. I cant see holding it up two inches to see the rough spots when new.

I have noticed that trim on the Rear bow is short on many cars since i started reading this post.I just received my top from ARO in NY.and that wire on trim on the rear bow was about 11" too short.They quickly sent a correct piece. I believe many aftermarket tops include the wire on trim piece that is short and many never notice.

There must be period photographs and ad copies that would show cars with tops up?

Sure there are, find'em. Most convertible ads have the top down. Most or all I've seen from 1970 are cartoonish or black and white images in the paper with little resemblance to the car.

There really is no need however. If you are referring to the rear bow trim it is obvious to me where it ended from the factory. There are a handful of surviving cars with original tops that indicate where it goes and why.

It seems there is a bit of confusion among enthusiasts and installers.

Having done historical research (ancient) the search for period pictorial evidence (sculptures, images on pottery, wall paintings, statues, etc) is constant and verifiable material is accepted (primary source material) and striven for.

It does not always end all speculation but until contrary equivalent evidence is given that is what is accepted.

Yes, most ads would have the top down, but there must be tons of pictures of individuals and families posing with/by cars that were recently purchased.

If I showed you five originals would you be satisfied? 10? 100? What do YOU need to be satisfied with the determination?
It's already an open and shut case as far as I am concerned. You wanna do your own detective work, go ahead, have fun with that.

Installers have their own techniques for installation , which I explained. Many/ most aren't restoration shops, they are installers so if it's close and works, that's what matters. A true restoration shop wouldn't miss the detail.
Again, find your guy and do what you feel you need to.

For me it is factory literature, here are pictures from the 1969 parts book, I don't have a 1970 book and the PDF is not clear enough.
Page 23-106 Polara 500 D-M
IMG_5692.JPEG

Page 23-202 Sport Fury P-H
IMG_5693.JPEG

Page 23-284 Polara D-L
IMG_5694.JPEG

Page 23-294 Polara 500 D-M
IMG_5695.JPEG

Page 23-320 Newport C-E
IMG_5696.JPEG

Page 23-332 300 C-M
IMG_5697.JPEG

Were there deviations at the factory? again show me factory literature, sales, service, ads...

Alan

Back