Convertible tops , Boots and well liners

Here's a close shot of the grain on Jazebelle's top Dave.

DSC01807 (Large).jpg

That is real close Will... Thank you. You are happy with the quality of the top?

That is real close Will... Thank you. You are happy with the quality of the top?

Very happy, A friend, who owns a trim shop and has been installing tops for forty years helped me install it, said it was a very high quality top. The people are very helpful and easy to deal with also.

My dad had a 63 Imperial, Red Leather interior, Claret Red Paint, White top. The boot matched the red interior. This was in '68 and it was all original. Wish I still had it.

I ordered a Well liner through Dantes'. He is a distributor for Legendary. I received the new liner about three weeks ago and it was wrong. Made for a 69/70 D/C/P convertible, the cut was wrong and the the snaps were in the wrong location. It also appeared to not be deep enough.
Legendary asked me to return it along with my old one. They are making me a new piece and will be keeping my old piece.... [it was torn up pretty bad]....
Apparently this is a different cut than what they had on file.
If I find anything else out I will post it here

I ordered a Well liner through Dantes'. He is a distributor for Legendary. I received the new liner about three weeks ago and it was wrong. Made for a 69/70 D/C/P convertible, the cut was wrong and the the snaps were in the wrong location. It also appeared to not be deep enough.

Apparently this is a different cut than what they had on file.
If I find anything else out I will post it here

I suspect that the Dodge and Plymouth top, well liner and boot may interchange. But the same items on a Chrysler are different and are what Legendary has on file.

I think these are as close as I can get for my clips http://www.profitautointeriors.com/...COVNERTIBLE-BOOT---CLIP/74444/CB70E-CLIP.html, the boot cover that came with the car has the 3 studs either side but no clips for the back moulding and would flap wildly in motion, I tried to enlarge polara71's picture above to see if I could get a good look at them but it went blurry. Looks like there are flats on both side of clips to sew in, any chance of a closer picture of one of the clips? Bob

I think these are as close as I can get for my clips http://www.profitautointeriors.com/...COVNERTIBLE-BOOT---CLIP/74444/CB70E-CLIP.html, the boot cover that came with the car has the 3 studs either side but no clips for the back moulding and would flap wildly in motion, I tried to enlarge polara71's picture above to see if I could get a good look at them but it went blurry. Looks like there are flats on both side of clips to sew in, any chance of a closer picture of one of the clips? Bob

To my knowledge, the only place you will find the correct clips is Legendary Auto Interiors. When you buy their boot, the clips are already sewn in. But it looks like you might be able to buy them separately as well, at least they show buying separate clips for the B & E bodies, but also must have the correct ones for the C bodies as well. They are $5 each. No point in looking elsewhere, as the exact correct ones are not likely to be found except at Legendary.

It may be time to resurrect this topic. Its been over 4 years and I've still yet to replace the top on Missouri.

Fred, where was your top manufactured? It is more white than off white isn't it?
Is it correct grain ?

It may be time to resurrect this topic. Its been over 4 years and I've still yet to replace the top on Missouri.

Fred, where was your top manufactured? It is more white than off white isn't it?
Is it correct grain ?
The top with non-original pinpoint vinyl and a plastic back window came with the car when I bought it. Had an alcoholic local fly by nighter install it LOL. The job was a 6/10. EDIT: Yes very white and hard to keep clean.

Is it correct grain ?
I'm glad you did because currently mine will be needing one in the very near future.

The top with non-original pinpoint vinyl and a plastic back window came with the car when I bought it. Had an alcoholic local fly by nighter install it LOL. The job was a 6/10. EDIT: Yes very white and hard to keep clean.

The guy doing the job says off white. I cant recall a original white top on our cars to be sure. I recall yours being very white but forgot the plastic window. ( no wonder you didn't see that light column :lol:)

The installer uses the same top manufacturer Matt bought for the Challenger . Matt, did you get yours installed? Happy with it?:thankyou:

Not sure why but the yellowish swatch is of the available off white top color. Three manufacturers use this material AND ITS WRONG.
Doesn't matter if its a C B or E body in 70 this is the off white choice. Are they really installing the wrong top color on high dollar restorations? WTF?

20200518_163000.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure why but the yellowish swatch is of the available off white top color. Three manufacturers use this material AND ITS WRONG.
Doesn't matter if its a C B or E body in 70 this is the off white choice. Are they really installing the wrong top color on high dollar restorations? WTF?

View attachment 377015
I'm curious which manufacturers you got samples from.

It's funny this thread came back around, I was just looking at my top boot (a Legendary replacement) and thinking it's time for a new one. The vinyl has shrunken back to where it really doesn't fit. I'm thinking about trying to get a local shop to make one that fits better or maybe just order a Legendary replacement, but I don't really know how this Legendary boot fit when it was new.

Back