Cost of re- chroming and what cannot be re-chromed?

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking into re- chroming my grill, rear tail light filler and other parts. I am going to take a two and a half hour drive next week to to talk to a plating/ chroming place. I have no idea what to expect for pricing, what they can and cannot do. My expectation based on what I have researched so far is they will strip the old off, repair issues ( Up to a point)and re- start the plating process.
Depending on price there are a couple of pieces I could probably strip the paint and polish up. But there are others that are starting to pit. I am afraid they will not match if I clean up some and re plate others.

I have no idea what to expect on pricing. Any advice or ranges I should expect so I don’t get sticker shock?

image.jpg

No ideas but I'd sure be interested in what you find out as I have some similar stuff that should be redone also.

Good quality work isn't cheap, just know that. My father just got prices for re-chroming 50 Merc bumpers and guards that need some straightening and a few pits filled. ~$900 each. "The Bumper Boys" priced it near half that but we saw an example of their work and it's evident why. Be sure to do your homework on company reviews.

Pot-metal is the most expensive to refinish. Those three pieces for the rear of your Coronet are going to be exceptionally expensive, as few shops do pot these days. Check around. There is Ogden Chrome in Utah, a couple of place in central Minnesota that are good, and there is always taking the parts to a border shop in Mexico.

I am looking into re- chroming my grill, rear tail light filler and other parts. I am going to take a two and a half hour drive next week to to talk to a plating/ chroming place. I have no idea what to expect for pricing, what they can and cannot do. My expectation based on what I have researched so far is they will strip the old off, repair issues ( Up to a point)and re- start the plating process.
Depending on price there are a couple of pieces I could probably strip the paint and polish up. But there are others that are starting to pit. I am afraid they will not match if I clean up some and re plate others.

I have no idea what to expect on pricing. Any advice or ranges I should expect so I don’t get sticker shock?

View attachment 158228
Also keep in mind that some Mopar trim is chromed and some of it is anodized These are not the same plating processes. The parts that have a "dull" finish are usually anodized metal. Some other parts are polished aluminum that will need to be stripped and re-polished.

Dave

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if he plays the old doctor routine on you, grabs you by the wallet and says cough. Seriously, I bet it's not cheap. My brother paid over 2K for the F&R bumpers alone on a 66 Satellite. Good Luck

These are chrome with silver argent paint to dull it down. The Polara’s seem to have a little of everything for trim. Around windows and doors and front is stainless. The belt line is all anodized aluminum. And then there is the chromed pot metal.
I am going to take the pieces to Northstar / Keystone plating in Brainerd MN Wednesday or Thursday and check them out. There is another contact I got for a place in Sauk Center MN also. Only got a phone number and a name. An auto paint supply place said he has a big chroming set up but also restores his own cars. I guess I will have to check the number out.

I got my front and rear bumpers straightened and rechromed locally for around $850 for both.

I use Paul's Chrome because they are local so I have no shipping charges. They are a top quality shop. They also do free rough estimates but won't guarantee price until they see the part. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for. They chrome pretty much everything except plastic including pot metal and fiberglass. The also do stainless.

I had my front bumper and four bumperettes chromed. No repairs needed and it was approximately $1000.

Home

I use Paul's Chrome because they are local so I have no shipping charges. They are a top quality shop. They also do free rough estimates but won't guarantee price until they see the part. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for. They chrome pretty much everything except plastic including pot metal and fiberglass. The also do stainless.

I had my front bumper and four bumperettes chromed. No repairs needed and it was approximately $1000.

Home
Just read this the other day on Paul's chrome. Not happy Paul’s Chrome Plating.

Now... This guy should have started with better pieces to begin with and stripped out the sockets etc. before sending. I also know from experience that pot metal repair has its limitations (read cost), but I think the shop should have told him ahead of time.

I've had pot metal done a couple places. One did an OK job, but they shipped it back to me in a bag with sand in it and the finish was scratched. When I complained, they accused me of scratching it. I sent it back... they replated it and sent it in another bag with sand in it... same results.

I also had some done by a local shop. They did exactly what they said they would, although it was their usual long turn around. There is a couple small flaws, just as they said there would be, but I knew what to expect.

Just read this the other day on Paul's chrome. Not happy Paul’s Chrome Plating.

Now... This guy should have started with better pieces to begin with and stripped out the sockets etc. before sending. I also know from experience that pot metal repair has its limitations (read cost), but I think the shop should have told him ahead of time.

I've had pot metal done a couple places. One did an OK job, but they shipped it back to me in a bag with sand in it and the finish was scratched. When I complained, they accused me of scratching it. I sent it back... they replated it and sent it in another bag with sand in it... same results.

I also had some done by a local shop. They did exactly what they said they would, although it was their usual long turn around. There is a couple small flaws, just as they said there would be, but I knew what to expect.

Wow, those are definitely ugly. That's the advantage of having a shop close by, You can walk in with the part and make sure there are no misunderstandings. If they did that to me, I'd be in there tearing someone a new one. My experience was without issue and quality was as expected.

Front.JPG

Front Side.JPG

Last edited:
Tri City Plating in Elizabethton Tenn is your best bet for bumpers and steel componants, they do not do pot metal.
There's a good chance they will have a core in stock and you can save a little on shipping one way. You can find pricing on their website.

http://www.tricityplating.com/

Dan's plating in Tenn for pot metal.
I just had 14 smaller pieces done at about $400.00.

Here is something I have been looking at for awhile and I think for interior pieces in my car it will be perfect, it is a bit expensive but then again, getting a lot of interior pieces done ends up costing a lot anyway. I look forward to seeing this products cost come down in the future.
The first link is of the chrome paint being applied, check the finish, it is amazing! Then the second link is for the kit, it covers 20sq ft.

https://alsacorp.com/shop/chrome-products/264-brush-on-chrome.html

Some of the reasons above is why I plan on hand delivery next week. My tail light and filler panel bezels should not need repair nor should the grill. My front fascia for the headlights has a little stress cracking on the front side of the mounting studs. The good news on where the cracks are is covered with argent silver paint. I do have two sets to choose from, my originals have the best surfaces, but the largest cracks. My second set has more pitting but only a small crack.

image.jpg

Here is something I have been looking at for awhile and I think for interior pieces in my car it will be perfect, it is a bit expensive but then again, getting a lot of interior pieces done ends up costing a lot anyway. I look forward to seeing this products cost come down in the future.
The first link is of the chrome paint being applied, check the finish, it is amazing! Then the second link is for the kit, it covers 20sq ft.

Fascinating, Thanks! I think I'm going to try this product on vintage telephone parts that would cost a fortune to re-chrome.

These guys need to come to Carisle and sell this stuff to us financially challenged C body guys.

Back