Crash test

monaco75

Reaction score
Saw this picture on one of the c body facebook pages. Not sure if its been shared before or not..

Ouch!! Wonder what the speed was?

F2B8D26F-4948-48EF-BDA7-95A82379DF86.jpeg

Saw this picture on one of the c body facebook pages. Not sure if its been shared before or not..

Ouch!! Wonder what the speed was?

View attachment 155028

I've seen that (many times) before. The speed was 50 or 60 into a fixed barrier, that's the equivalent of double into another car of equal size. Those tests are done to be sure the powertrain "submarines".

This is a 35 fixed barrier test.

Chrysler%20crash%20test.jpg

(I also note that roof treatment never made production to my knowledge, but I really like it!)

Looking at some of the NHSTA offset barrier tests of smaller cars that they rated high, the little Honda sedan bounced off the barrier like a ping pong ball. The driver and passenger might have been easily removed, but their guts were still slammin' inti each other in their head and torso.

In the later '70s, while the old tunnel/runway was on Airport Freeway in western Irving on TX 183, the rh lane "on ramp" from DFW airport, headed west, dead-ended into the side of that tunnel wall. One day when I went through there, there was a warped '67 or '68 Imperial against it. A head-on hit. Probably at about 45-55mph. The rear end was slightly higher than it should have been, body-wise. The car had a gentle u-bend in it, but the roof and such was not buckled. The front section was flattened, but not demolished as that Fury or Chrysler (in the pictures) were. News reports said the driver survived it, but later died.

Until they took that runway/traffic tunnel down, the "on ramp lane" ended at the tunnel's outer wall, with signs about such, too. If traffic was heavy enough and you couldn't change lanes, you were "at the wall", unfortunately. Suspicion was that the driver had some issue that led to him not changing lanes, other than traffic.

That particular runway was a part of the old Greater Southwest Airport, precursor of DFW Airport. Quite a deal for a taxi-way to be over a 6-lane freeway. Quite a sight to see a passenger jet roll over the tunnel that you were going to drive through!

When there was little other traffic, it had great acoustics to hear the reverberating sound of the AFB on the '67 Chrysler "air out"!

CBODY67

In the later '70s, while the old tunnel/runway was on Airport Freeway in western Irving on TX 183, the rh lane "on ramp" from DFW airport, headed west, dead-ended into the side of that tunnel wall.

The last time I ventured into 'I-4 HELL' through Orlando I saw many Bridge abutments and other 'street furniture' unprotected by guardrails or water/sand barrels, and this was after all the new construction/widening was completed. Oh boy just a matter of time I thought to myself.
Guess they were short on money. :realcrazy:
Sure enough 'bout six months later on the 6 O'clock news someone went head on into a abutment at good speed with a suv/crossover type vehicle an died on scene.
(wonder if there was a stick family decal on rear window) <ducks>

Haven't traveled much in the past decade but the last time up in Virginia on I-95 I saw construction going on with a really high flyover, oh boy wait till some tractor trailer goes off that.
Then snow fences put up on the center jersey barrier up in DC. I guess to prevent the oncoming traffic headlights from glaring into opposing traffic, went around a left hand bend that the sight line was totally blind in rolling 50/60mph bumper to bumper.
Recipe for disaster, glad I wasn't on the bike.
Sound barrier walls are everywhere now, even here in Florida.
Long time ago trying to avoid NYC Interstate traffic took that bridge over the Hudson way north of the city to get on I-84. Got up to just west of Hartford an saw Jersey Barriers high as the roof of my car going through some hilly bends. :wideyed:
Not the exact area but close, heck did they ever finish that road? <nevermind>

I-84.Barrier.004.trimmed.jpg

june-68.gif
Found a pic of this roadrunner, not sure if it was a crash test or just a crashed RR

Back