Curious on Block year vs. Car year... 65 Sport Fury..64 383 block

James Romano

Reaction score
Hiya. A few weeks ago I decided to pull my starter, clean and paint it. Along with that, clean and paint the driver's side block. This would finally tell me the year of my block and it was the last thing on my list to confirm that I basically unknowingly bought a survivor.

So into the grease I went... and behold.. 5.13.64 came out from under all the crap, crud and road **** built on there from 55 years of driving.

Now this is great! I was very happy to see this.. .two fold reasons. #1 and most important... it's my mother's birth date, year being 1936. I lost my mom this past January to Dementia, and a month prior to that, my father to blood cancer. Heavy right... yeah. So in that moment "Josephine" just became invaluable to me for obvious sentimental reasons. I fun family side note... my Mom actually drove the family car... which was a 73 Fury Custom Suburban wagon.

And #2. I know now my car is all original. But why the early date in 1964? I know they build cars a year before... but the casting is in May... would that make my car a very early production 65?

I also found the answer to all my #7 spark plug wiring questions I posted a few months back. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to route that wire. Most '65 383 valve covers route over the top, from the back and have two wire clips. My valve covers do not have them and they are original. I know this by the oil charring on the inside of the cover when I changed the gaskets. When I removed the starter... bam... there it was. On the 64 block, there is a wire clip behind the starter that safely routes the wire around the exhaust manifold and links up with the rest of the wires down low.

So... why do I have a 64 block in my car? I also noted I have an un-silenced air cleaner with no breather hook-up, and my oil/pcv were painted blue. My carb spring bracket was unlike other 383's I looked at as well. Just little odd things that I noticed that were very different that other same year cars.

I have since swapped air cleaner (cleaned, painted and stored the original) to a dual snorkel, replaced the bracket with a normal looking 383 bracket, and painted everything black as it should look from what I have seen from other Fury's of the same year.

Thanks for reading... lol.

IMG_20200620_150412728.jpg

IMG_20200620_152110744.jpg

casting dates are a year off the model year used , this is do to the curing time needed to the cast blocks and heads . this time period is to let the iron finalize its shape from the pour . race stuff thats cast then put straight into builds have been cooked in a over at 1200 deg so it can finalize the iron for machining . and a seasoned block will machine up better than a new casting , its a timed thing to get the blocks n heads cured out .

What's the build date for your car? That block only sat for a short amount of time and May is only 2 months from the change over

Mopar sold a lot less big block cars than they did small blocks. As a practical matter, it was not unusual to see a 2-3 month differential between the casting date and the build date for 383/440 engines.

Dave

And on the far end, 66 hemi blocks were still being used in 68's

casting dates are a year off the model year used , this is do to the curing time needed to the cast blocks and heads . this time period is to let the iron finalize its shape from the pour . race stuff thats cast then put straight into builds have been cooked in a over at 1200 deg so it can finalize the iron for machining . and a seasoned block will machine up better than a new casting , its a timed thing to get the blocks n heads cured out .

In order fro this to be true, one would have to be able to project necessary inventory a year in advance.
It would also mean hundreds of thousands of blocks in storage somewhere as they cured.
This means a HUGE amount of stranded cost for casting and storing blocks you can't sell for another year. I'm not sure that amount of inventory in the wings is prudent business.
This also means as we do research, we would see far more blocks cast a year ahead of the assembly dates.

In order fro this to be true, one would have to be able to project necessary inventory a year in advance.
It would also mean hundreds of thousands of blocks in storage somewhere as they cured.
This means a HUGE amount of stranded cost for casting and storing blocks you can't sell for another year. I'm not sure that amount of inventory in the wings is prudent business.
This also means as we do research, we would see far more blocks cast a year ahead of the assembly dates.
I have an early 65 casting in my 66 Polara 500, but I know there is a rebuilt engine in the engine bay. And the car was shipped on Dec 23, so I doubt the block is the one that came with the car.

IMG_20180412_123743.jpg

It's not unusual for some blocks to get pushed back in storage and used later than one would expect, but it's not standard procedure.

There is one critical piece of evidence we're missing....

Look at the pad on the front of the block for the engine assembly date.
The info will start A, indicating an assembly for a 65 model year car, and then 38 or 383 ( I can't remember on a 65)
After that, you will see a date code. Look for something like 12 7 or 11 29.

That will tell you when the engine was assembled.

I'm guessing with a January SPD, you will find the engine was assembled in December or late November of 1964.

383_Pad_Location.jpg

Last edited:
It's not unusual for some blocks to get pushed back in storage and used later than one would expect, but it's not standard procedure.

There is one critical piece of evidence we're missing....

Look at the pad on the front of the block for the engine assembly date.
The info will start A, indicating an assembly for a 65 model year car, and then 38 or 383 ( I can't remember on a 65)
After that, you will see a date code. Look for something like 12 7 or 11 29.

That will tell you when the engine was assembled.

I'm guessing with a January SPD, you will find the engine was assembled in December or late November of 1964.

View attachment 396488
Mine is definitely for a '65. @James Romano's should look like this.

IMG_20180508_170532.jpg

Picture of your fender tag has 825 as the SPD, so a block cast a month before would make sense. Very short gap, but plausible.

Last edited:
Ok, I got my eyes on the block pad today. I can't get my phone in there for a pic, but it reads...

383 and an iron cross
10 6 2
(Blank due thick paint) HP

Fender tag as well...

IMG_20200820_125952132.jpg

Dave, what am I looking at with this motor? Something good...something unique?

She's crazy strong now that I went to electronic ignition, rebuilt carbs and blocked the heat/added phenolic pad.

Was that performance purchase? It had a dual point distributor as well before the petronics went in

Dave, what am I looking at with this motor? Something good...something unique?

She's crazy strong now that I went to electronic ignition, rebuilt carbs and blocked the heat/added phenolic pad.

Was that performance purchase? It had a dual point distributor as well before the petronics went in

Dual point was used mostly on the later 335 horse B-Body motor. Some of the police cruisers and other high performance 383 engines also sported a dual point for '65. It was also a popular after market addition by the hot rod crowd. HP identifies the motor as having a steel crank but they all had that up until late production '71. I think that this engine probably had the dual point added as it was not usually offered with the 2BBL.

Dave

Mine is a 4bbl with an original AFB 4200Q. Tag is still present.

Just for talking points, I'd love to know more about this car. I think there is something odd about it simply by looking at pics and comparing the small items on it. Nothing unique, just odd.

I looked up the spec on my carb when I bought the rebuild kit for it. I found that the carb was the Canadian version, but the car was build in US.

Not that any of this matters, but it's fun chatter at car shows. Better than me just saying "it's a stock 383".

Back