Daughter's 88 Aries won't stay running....

I know Ill get it sorted out eventually, just it has left my daughter stranded a number of times now and SHE is pretty much done with it. If I get her something older with no computer, elecronic relays and sensors I can guarantee that I can keep it running and driving and any break downs will pretty much be repairable with little to no effort on my part. ;)

Plus an early A-body has lots of parts and aftermarket support available for upgrades and custom work to make it her own.

Going through this thread..
Brian did you replace the ignition coil? if not do replace.
Do you still have the old HAL distributor pick up?
As a process of elimination put the old one back in,see what happens
Another common issue is the Auto Shutdown Relay.or the PCM wiring relay.
The PCM operates the Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay and fuel pump relay through one ground path. The PCM operates the relays by switching the ground path on and off. Both relays turn on and off at the same time.

The ASD relay connects the battery voltage to the fuel injector and ignition coil. The fuel pump relay connects the battery voltage to the fuel pump and oxygen sensor heating element.
Part # RY108
View attachment 356453
View attachment 356454
Let's hope it is that simple ..
The top 5 causes is the PCM..which just might put your daughter in that Valiant..
I just checked 5 PCM numbers...none in Canada..but Rock Auto shows 2 available depending on the numbers.

I agree with Leaburn that you should be chasing the HAL pick-up in the distributor.
I had accidentally pinched the wiring once installing the dist cap and it acted just like what is happening to your car.

Forgot to update this...

I decided to take your advice and swapped out the "new" HAL sensor in the dizzy for the original 32 year old OEM part....Yup runs like a champ again! So thank you for the great advice once again!!:thumbsup:

With the Covid-19 challenges we are all experiencing I have decided that she is just going to have to drive old Rosie and we will deal with any repairs as they arise, just can't justify spending another $3-5K on another car for her when both my wife and I are not working full time hours now and things could get worse, and we still have plenty of bills to pay. ;)

I knew you would get it sorted out. It says a lot when the original, 32 year old part still works and the replacement crapped out after a short period of time.

Glad to hear it. My two older daughters loved their Reliant too. As most of you know my son is crazy about his 87 LeBaron GTS. They were some good little cars.

Back