Dennis. That's his name.

I have the passenger side finished now other then dressing my welds underneath the car for appearance sake.

The dog isn't impressed with my being sick this week with the flu. She would rather we both be outside in the snow...
20190208_230810.jpg
20190208_230835.jpg
20190208_230843.jpg
20190208_230905.jpg
20190208_231124.jpg

Nick at this point in my life living vicariously through the efforts of young motivated members of this board like yourself I'm enjoying this thread. For paint schemes there are some of classy low profile options out there. Here's a few.
6b0b734b4d4ac14da6f1842345e337db.jpg

JVSipp2.jpg

vintage-fury.jpg

ORSP61impala.jpg

Began cleaning out the garage as I'm sick of tripping over crap....my future plans when we buy something with some land will include a 60x80 shop...that way I'm not paying other people to store my cars....

I'm just getting over the cold from hell so I hopefully will be able to make some progress this week.
20190219_222628.jpg
20190219_222637.jpg

Feel better.... the garage will come. I recall a car under a tent and snow when you started. You’ve come a long way my friend.

Nick I gotta give you credit for your dedication.
With the structural issues she has many others would throw their hands up in the air and would end up in the scrap heap.
I did a fair bit of fabrication and repairing myself but not to this extent.
sawzall.gif
weld.gif

I also know the feeling of gratification when a job is well done.

How the car came to be and how it managed to survive justifies the work you are doing.
I love the fact she was ordered with the GY8,so I hope you keep the same color.

The thrill of hunting down unicorn parts,the long drives chasing parts---I did all that so I know what you are going through.
It took me 12-13 years,so keep plugging away!!
wrench.gif
bondo.gif

Trust me,in the end it will be well worth it.

Folks,I visited Nick and saw the car in the flesh,and I was blown away by the rust damage and really impressed with Nick's craftsmanship.

:thumbsup:

Nick I gotta give you credit for your dedication.
With the structural issues she has many others would throw their hands up in the air and would end up in the scrap heap.
I did a fair bit of fabrication and repairing myself but not to this extent.

How the car came to be and how it managed to survive justifies the work you are doing.
I love the fact she was ordered with the GY8,so I hope you keep the same color View attachment 265137
Trust me,in the end it will be well worth it.

:thumbsup:
Thanks Lea.

As I've said all along, this car holds an important place in my heart. It's as much a part of me getting to where I am today as many other important things in my life.

It also holds a lot of memories for me.

My grandfather loaned me the money to buy it, my dad helped me work on it, my father in law and I spent hours working on it, it was there during times that were good and bad, it lead to me meeting some great people I now call my friends and it's taught me an endless amount of lessons and skill sets that I may not have had otherwise.

Its been a serious undertaking, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

After I finish this side, my next step is the top/outer skins of the firewall and then I will be cleaning up the bottom of the car so I can paint it....I'll then paint the firewall and front windshield frame and then I can start reassembling some stuff;

From there I will put the stub back in with the completed engine and trans, I will reinstall the rear diff and springs, and will begin reassembly of the brake system and heater box....

Then comes the next big hurdle, the exterior body and body panels...

Anyway....I ran errands this morning and stopped by my shop to do some stuff on the shop van. Got home around 1 and headed out to the garage to begin some tinkering....quick FYI, a drill-doctor is a worthy investment if you use still bits a lot..

I ended up removing most of the drivers side pans, the water damage over time just made the remaining metal so damn soft that I didn't Think it was worth leaving and potentially having an issue with it later down the road.

I'm already waist deep, what's a few more inches?

20190302_175752.jpg
20190302_175801.jpg
20190302_181706.jpg
20190302_181726.jpg
20190302_181732.jpg
20190302_182738.jpg
20190302_182752.jpg

Thanks Lea.

As I've said all along, this car holds an important place in my heart. It's as much a part of me getting to where I am today as many other important things in my life.

It also holds a lot of memories for me.

My grandfather loaned me the money to buy it, my dad helped me work on it, my father in law and I spent hours working on it, it was there during times that were good and bad, it lead to me meeting some great people I now call my friends and it's taught me an endless amount of lessons and skill sets that I may not have had otherwise.

Its been a serious undertaking, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

After I finish this side, my next step is the top/outer skins of the firewall and then I will be cleaning up the bottom of the car so I can paint it....I'll then paint the firewall and front windshield frame and then I can start reassembling some stuff;

From there I will put the stub back in with the completed engine and trans, I will reinstall the rear diff and springs, and will begin reassembly of the brake system and heater box....

Then comes the next big hurdle, the exterior body and body panels...

Anyway....I ran errands this morning and stopped by my shop to do some stuff on the shop van. Got home around 1 and headed out to the garage to begin some tinkering....quick FYI, a drill-doctor is a worthy investment if you use still bits a lot..

I ended up removing most of the drivers side pans, the water damage over time just made the remaining metal so damn soft that I didn't Think it was worth leaving and potentially having an issue with it later down the road.

I'm already waist deep, what's a few more inches?

View attachment 265265 View attachment 265266 View attachment 265267 View attachment 265268 View attachment 265269 View attachment 265270 View attachment 265271
Wow.... all I can say.

looks like there wasn't much holding that old girl together. nice work, nick.

I was just thinking that a guy would have to be crazy to tackle this kind of rust but then I found this video on my storage drive...:rolleyes:
(Feel free to mute the audio)

Back