Dentistry

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I am not one to go to the dentist much. In fact I had a long break between 1968-1985 and then 1985 to December 2016. In 1985 it seems my back right molar (#31) cracked for some reason. Went down the street to a dentist I know and he put a stainless steel band around it. After that I can't recall the reason for not following it up.

The around Christmas that tooth starts to become noticeable. Then it becomes uncomfortable and I put two and two together about an infection and write a Rx for Cephalexin. In a few days better but I only wrote it for 7 days and it was back after being off four days. Now I write it for 10 days yet one night the pain level hit 7 on my scale of 10 and keep me up an entire night. Consult one of my patients, who is a dentist part time (4 nice kids), and she makes an office visit at 6 pm Friday night in my office. Looks around, I learn some new terms like irreversible pulpitis, and she puts a sealer over a crack which helps a lot.

She suggests I see someone she knows and my wife calls the doctor and they set up a time for the day after Christmas. The doctor called me later that night to see if I was Ok. Now she was expecting a disaster since it had been 31 years. Surprised the hell out of her when she looked and said they all looked great including the gums. How? I know how to care for both. Nonetheless, #31 had seen better days as one cusp was also missing of the four. This is root canal time. Then gum surgery to lower the gum line and then crown.

Today was root canal. Been on antibiotics for one months and felt fine. Of course, that can be misleading. Go into the endodontist, who was recommended, and he takes his look. Asks who did the band and when I tell him he tells me he plays golf with him weekly. Really, the two of you are at least 20 years apart. We talk, X-rays are taken, yes it needs root canal and hopefully the tooth doesn't need to be pulled. Then comes out the needle. God, I hate needles and tell him this is why I don't see you guys. Although I would have no problem giving someone else a needle.

Anyway the worry was all for naught. The whole thing went fine. Hardly even sore as I was warned. Well, as long as I don't open my mouth wide. Know how long it takes to eat a simple sandwich like that? Next up the gum surgeon. The latest guy said one week but I think I am going to wait two weeks for now when one foots the bill with no dental insurance.

After almost 20 years my dentist and I have come to terms with each other. I am lucky and have very strong teeth.
I'm not coming in every 6mo. on the mark, and no your not taking X rays every year. I've been coming to you for 20 years and you have fixed 2 problems with my teeth, both of which I blame on that damn Nicorette gum, but I did stop smoking so live with it.

+1 haven't been in so long I don't remember how long.

but I pull em if they go bad.

I told my wife a long time ago I'm gonna have a metal mouth like the dude in the 007 movie from when I was a kid.

- saylor

Sounds like it all worked out, I don't go as often as is should and this reminded me that I need to go soon.

Back