Difference between the RV2 & V2 compressor?

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I got nowhere with Google so here I am.

Is the difference between the two different compressors obvious?

The serial/part number tag on my compressor says V2.
The part number on the tag looks to be later as well.
The pulley was also not the correct one for this car so it appears it was swapped out at one time.

2014-11-23_001.jpg

2014-11-23_002.jpg

Thanks,

Alan

I think R=refrigerant, V cylinder arrangement, 2 number of cylinders. The second is probably just leaving the assumption of refrigerant

That still doesn’t answer the question. Apparently there are two different compressors, a RV2 and a V2. My car should have the RV2 but the tag shows V2. I’m trying to understand what I have so I can be clear on what I need when I have it replaced or rebuilt.

Alan

I think the only visual difference on the top between old and newer is the heads are flat, no recessed areas where bolts are, and apparently the oil pan is different. In that article they make it seem as if all the pulley/clutch are the same and that is not the case.

I think the only visual difference on the top between old and newer is the heads are flat, no recessed areas where bolts are, and apparently the oil pan is different. In that article they make it seem as if all the pulley/clutch are the same and that is not the case.
Did you know that to remove the pulley just hold the compressor upside down and....

Posted via Topify on Android

Yes its a taper fit with key, maybe a light tap on side of clutch if stuck.

The FSM says to use a 5/8-11 bolt, hub is threaded, remove the smaller locking bolt (threads into pump shaft) and run the large one in, worked for me.

Alan

Call Classic Auto Air. Being as they restore factory A/C systems, they should be able to tell you the difference.

www.classicautoair.com

I spoke with them last week and will probably be sending at least one of the hoses there to be redone.

At the time I hadn't looked at the compressor and was trying to do as much of my research first.

They have compressors ready to go with the clutch.

Alan

I spoke with them last week and will probably be sending at least one of the hoses there to be redone.

At the time I hadn't looked at the compressor and was trying to do as much of my research first.

They have compressors ready to go with the clutch.

Alan

They are a good outfit and do really nice work. They restored the entire system for my '65 300.

Yes its a taper fit with key, maybe a light tap on side of clutch if stuck.

The FSM says to use a 5/8-11 bolt, hub is threaded, remove the smaller locking bolt (threads into pump shaft) and run the large one in, worked for me.

Alan
You missed the thread when I was complaining I did everything the book said and I still couldn't get it off when Dave from above said to hold it upside down and tap it.
Well, I went to do that and when I turned it upside down to give it a light tap, it fell off onto the floor. I scared it. Lol.

Posted via Topify on Android

Back