Disc brakes using F, M, J spindles on 60-64 Chrysler

Furious

Reaction score
I'm about to do a disc brake swap on a 60 Chrysler. I know the Aspen, Diplomat etc spindles and brakes are popular swap onto the 60-64 full size Mopars. I think the spindles and brakes from a 75-79 B body like Cordoba can also be used. I will be doing a manual master cylinder, so no booster clearance issues to worry about.
From memory, I seem to recall having to do a modification to the tie rod length to make it all jive.
Who else has used this setup? Any tips or tricks I should be aware of?
Thanks

I'm about to do a disc brake swap on a 60 Chrysler. I know the Aspen, Diplomat etc spindles and brakes are popular swap onto the 60-64 full size Mopars. I think the spindles and brakes from a 75-79 B body like Cordoba can also be used. I will be doing a manual master cylinder, so no booster clearance issues to worry about.
From memory, I seem to recall having to do a modification to the tie rod length to make it all jive.
Who else has used this setup? Any tips or tricks I should be aware of?
Thanks
Check other Forward Look forums to confirm

I saw a thread on a person using 90 Dodge Dakota front disc setup that bolted right up with the use of ball joint sleeves to make up for the difference in the ball joint seats
Btw, it was on Facebook in the Polara/ Monaco owners group

Check other Forward Look forums to confirm

I saw a thread on a person using 90 Dodge Dakota front disc setup that bolted right up with the use of ball joint sleeves to make up for the difference in the ball joint seats
Btw, it was on Facebook in the Polara/ Monaco owners group
There's a thread here about the Dakota sweep too.

How does the vertical spacing between the ball joint mounts compared to the '60 spindle? Which might affect front end geometry as the wheels move up and down?

Just curious,
CBODY67

O.K. This may be of no help at All.
About 30 Yrs ago I started to Convert a 59 Custom Royal to Front Discs.
I Found that the Disc off a 69 Plymouth / Dodge Phoenix had the same bearing Spacing & Sizes as the Drum Brake Spindle on the 59 & Slid straight on.
I Figured after that it was only a Matter of making a Caliper Mount.
However Halfway through this Exercise I Stumbled across a 73 Monaco.
(Long Story, I'll try to Shorten it), I used to have a Job that Required me to Visit all the Wrecking Yards in my State.
One Day I Visited a Yard I was very Friendly with. Parked out the Front was an Extremely Battered 73 Monaco.
Upon asking the Owner what the Story was he explained to me that this was his Friends Porsche.
Apparently his Friend had gone to the States for a Visit & while he was there had found a Very Nice Little Porsche at the Right Price.
He Purchased the Vehicle went to a Shipping Agent & arranged for it to be shipped to Aust.
When the Container arrived & was opened what they found was this beaten up Monaco.
The Fella never saw his Porsche but I bought the Monaco.
Anyway, It was a 400 C.I. 727 with Boosted Disc Brakes.
The 73 Monaco had changed back to the 59 Style Ball joint Set up. so I switched to the Idea of using the Monaco Assemblies.
Now from Memory the Monaco Stubs were Slightly Taller than the Custom Royals. So there may have been a Problem with the Steering Geometry.
(Was looking at the Idea of Machining the Top & Bottom of the Stub).
Also with the Larger Ball Joints on the Monaco I had to get a Machine Shop to Turn Up some Tapered Sleeves for the 59 Ball Joints.
Unfortunately During All this I was Retrenched, was out of work for 8 Months, ( Don't get Old Nobody wants to Hire You.) And Eventually had to sell the Car.
The Fella that Bought it Still hasn't Finished it, so I Can't tell you what the Eventual Result was regards the Steering Specs.
Sorry for what may be nothing more than a Long & Boring Rant. Hope I haven't Bored you and that this Info may be Helpful in some way or other.
Regards Tony.M
P.S.
My Personal Opinion is to Make up some Caliper Mounts with the 69 Discs.
That way you are Not Altering the Original Steering Geometry in Any Way.

Nope, they fit well. Just haven't done one in quite a while and wondering if anyone has some tips on their swap.
OK, they fit well. My comment was about their size. The stuff I've seen under B and M bodies is a lot smaller than what's under a C.

O.K.
More Boring Stuff!
At the Time I was Looking at the 59 Royal Conversion I was Looking All over the Place for Ideas.
One Day at a Car Show a Fellow Club member informed me of another Participant who had Converted his 60 Dodge Phoenix to 4 WH Discs from a Holden Statesman.
(Pretty Much a GM "B" Body Sedan)
As I was "On Duty" at our Club Stand I asked him to Talk to the Fella about the Conversion & How Well it Worked.
Apparently he had Machined Down the Spindles to take the Holden Discs & then made some Caliper Adapters.
His response when asked How Well they Worked was....... O.K.
Now the Way I Figure it, The Brakes are going to be BLOODY FANTASTIC or I'm Not Going to Waste My Time.
Trying to Use "B" Body Brakes to Pull Up a Raging "C" Body does Not Compute to my way of Thinking.
Much Better to do a Job that is "OVER KILL" then something that is Not Adequate in a Dire Emergency.
Remember!
1) It will be Your Family's Lives you are Risking with Anything Less than BLOODY FANTASTIC.
2) After going to All this Trouble it would be a pity to end up with the Back Tray a Louieville as a Bonnet Mascot.
There are TWO Things that you Over Spend on. Brakes & Tyres.
Any thing else Failing is only an Inconvenience.

Oh and Yes Tallhair, It was a Dream Job, Sadly they ended up bringing Mobile Crushers to this Country in the 90s. Prior to that anything from the early 30s & upwards could be found in the Larger Bush "Yards" and often the Local Tips.
Regards, Tony.M

Last edited:
Hi, I have a complete disc brake set-up I would sell. It is presently installed on a 62 Chrysler Newport that I am parting out. It is brand new as the car was never driven as owner died during resto. I will be removing the setup shortly and is complete including manual brake master cylinder, p. valve, brake lines and all related hardware. It should fit 60 to 62. 425 219 3663

O.K. This may be of no help at All.
About 30 Yrs ago I started to Convert a 59 Custom Royal to Front Discs.
I Found that the Disc off a 69 Plymouth / Dodge Phoenix had the same bearing Spacing & Sizes as the Drum Brake Spindle on the 59 & Slid straight on.
I Figured after that it was only a Matter of making a Caliper Mount.
However Halfway through this Exercise I Stumbled across a 73 Monaco.
(Long Story, I'll try to Shorten it), I used to have a Job that Required me to Visit all the Wrecking Yards in my State.
One Day I Visited a Yard I was very Friendly with. Parked out the Front was an Extremely Battered 73 Monaco.
Upon asking the Owner what the Story was he explained to me that this was his Friends Porsche.
Apparently his Friend had gone to the States for a Visit & while he was there had found a Very Nice Little Porsche at the Right Price.
He Purchased the Vehicle went to a Shipping Agent & arranged for it to be shipped to Aust.
When the Container arrived & was opened what they found was this beaten up Monaco.
The Fella never saw his Porsche but I bought the Monaco.
Anyway, It was a 400 C.I. 727 with Boosted Disc Brakes.
The 73 Monaco had changed back to the 59 Style Ball joint Set up. so I switched to the Idea of using the Monaco Assemblies.
Now from Memory the Monaco Stubs were Slightly Taller than the Custom Royals. So there may have been a Problem with the Steering Geometry.
(Was looking at the Idea of Machining the Top & Bottom of the Stub).
Also with the Larger Ball Joints on the Monaco I had to get a Machine Shop to Turn Up some Tapered Sleeves for the 59 Ball Joints.
Unfortunately During All this I was Retrenched, was out of work for 8 Months, ( Don't get Old Nobody wants to Hire You.) And Eventually had to sell the Car.
The Fella that Bought it Still hasn't Finished it, so I Can't tell you what the Eventual Result was regards the Steering Specs.
Sorry for what may be nothing more than a Long & Boring Rant. Hope I haven't Bored you and that this Info may be Helpful in some way or other.
Regards Tony.M
P.S.
My Personal Opinion is to Make up some Caliper Mounts with the 69 Discs.
That way you are Not Altering the Original Steering Geometry in Any Way.
That story was entertaining on the Porsche bit alone. Poor dude

Hi, I have a complete disc brake set-up I would sell. It is presently installed on a 62 Chrysler Newport that I am parting out. It is brand new as the car was never driven as owner died during resto. I will be removing the setup shortly and is complete including manual brake master cylinder, p. valve, brake lines and all related hardware. It should fit 60 to 62. 425 219 3663

Back