Distributor cam for 1970 318

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The distributor cam on Poppy, my G-code 1970 Polara 'vert, should be replaced as per @david hill 's recommendation. Is there a difference between the 1970 and 1971 models? I have found two different part numbers, which I believe are 3438540 for 1971 and 2932988 for 1970 -- but am not sure if they are different?

@CBODY67 @Dobalovr @Davea Lux @saforwardlook @cbarge

Check the total mechanical advance between the two model year distributors. The length of the slots the advance weights interact with might be a difference. Unless there is something different in the lower distributor shaft it mates with. OR it might be only a different vendor built it for Chrysler. Or a different diameter snap ring (or similar) which holds it to the main shaft, not unlike the change of the housing flange gasket area in the 1970 models, using a hard o-ring at the base rather than the earlier flat metal-beaded gasket, although both go in the same place?

Take care,
CBODY67

The distributor cam on Poppy, my G-code 1970 Polara 'vert, should be replaced as per @david hill 's recommendation. Is there a difference between the 1970 and 1971 models? I have found two different part numbers, which I believe are 3438540 for 1971 and 2932988 for 1970 -- but am not sure if they are different?

@CBODY67 @Dobalovr @Davea Lux @saforwardlook @cbarge
When I hear of a worn distributor cam, I would tend to look for a new distributor rather than try to fix the current one since oiling issues with your engine would have likely affected other distributor bushings and other parts as well (Poppy doesn't have that many miles on it as I recall, rather overall oiling issues within the engine). Personally, I would just check with @halifaxhops for a replacement distributor that he might well have in his stock. He is a very helpful guy and that distributor wouldn't be that hard to find/obscure more than likely such as one on a 440-6 pack engine......... He checks out all the bushings for slop and other abnormalities when he rebuilds them.

If you prefer to keep the points system original, I 2nd the motion to see @halifaxhops for a replacement.
This is a great opportunity to recurve the distributor to work with today's gas.
Otherwise, with a worn cam, I'd simply go Pertronix or Mopar ECU conversions.

Last edited:
Probabaly different amount of mechanical advance. Slot length difference. Have the distributor number of the worn one?

Back