Disturbing night at my car show last night.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Many of you may still have snow on the ground but believe it or not some of our regulars are making their plans to head back North in the next month.

Lat night, a first timer showed up. I have to set the scenario because it is absolutely the exact stereotype I've always talked about.
Car: 1955 Chevy 2 door post, bright red.
Drivetrain: 350THM behind a Jasper 383. Every chrome piece under the hood available from Summit.
Interior: Late model buckets, late model tilt wheel, nothing left that mimicked originality. Of course the micro-fleece upholstery.
The ugly: Mid 70's Mustang painted mirrors, 19" wheels, traction bars, dice on mirror, Autozone chrome tips pointed out at an awkward angle and held on by a set screw. Mandatory purple air filter, the "Don't Touch" decals. I could go on and on.
Them: Late sixties, first classic car, other vehicles are Chrysler minivan and Japanese CUV.
First classic car. Bought from ebay. A friend "who knew all about cars" told them to buy it. Guessing it was around $30k.
The only time in his life that this man used a screwdriver was to change the wall plate on a light switch in his house. And he had to go back to HD three times to get the right one. I'm sure he once used a drywall screw as a machine screw and put a nut on it.
As soon as they arrived, they took up two spaces. Got out, popped the hood, and started wiping off all the dust it accumulated going from his garage to the show. He'll be dusting it off again when he gets home, I'm sure.
Bottom line: There were so many things wrong with this picture I sunk into a deep depression. I'm ending the season for the car show early this year. Serious doubts about next year.

Last edited:
That is a phenomenon you have everywhere. Know a couple of guys like this as well. Retired and looking for a hobby, they don't even care about what car to own, just something that sticks out in traffic. As a small town car collector that has some sort of unwanted notoriety I regularly get some inquiries if I would have just any of my old cars for sale they don't even want to search, just buying it like a grocery.

Check out the video, Hot roding is dead. on utube. it is a must see.

Last edited:
Excuse me for saying so, but people like that don't belong at car get togethers for REAL PEOPLE.....
They probably viewed themselves as "much more" than you -- and they are -- it's just much more ...... (fill in the blank.)
Like we say here in New York, We're Number 1 !! -- Just sometimes it isn't the index finger......

We have some of those types and tuners that come to the Lowes Friday Cruises. What's really annoying is when they are making laps in the cruise area and revving the crap out of the glass packs and driving too fast with people and kids walking around. They are asked to leave immediately. Not a lot irritates me these days but these a-holes can push me to the edge awfully quick!

dice on mirror, personally i like the dice and the hula girl!

Bottom line: There were so many things wrong with this picture I sunk into a deep depression. I'm ending the season for the car show early this year. Serious doubts about next year.

...but these are the people we should all love. They are the ones paying stupid prices for cars. So if you have something, and look to make a killing, then you need to find one of these wanna be's

I'm going to enjoy when my car is show ready, hell once I get it street legal I'll start taking it to cruise nights, after it's painted I wanna take it to a big show and freak people out by sitting down on the hood/fender while I eat my lunch, I'm building it to be a show-able driver.

After all, it's still a car isn't it?

Nick

I get Stans point but its no reason to pack it in and let them ruin your life

I agree.

I am there to fun. Meeting friends, seeing cars.
There will always be people you like less for what reason ever. You got to live with it and not let them ruin your fun

just compare it to the major show (Västeras) in sweden. Around 20.000 cars attending and a few 100 get drunk while having a party. Just ignore them if they disturb

Back