Do Your Homework

Status
Not open for further replies.

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Ad for a 1970 Sport Fury GT. Looks like a nice car, and admittedly rare and rust free with better than average interior nice grille and trim, nice bumpers and even maybe the correct tips, but the a/c is disconnected and the seats probably need recovering plus a headliner perhaps. The price seems at least $8K high to me (about the price of a good paint job):

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4293776553.html

Carsten, are you watching?

Last edited:
Looking over the ad, a non GT Fury with say a 383 and rust rust free body with similar options could fetch seven grand. He's asking fifteen but I bet $12,000 will take it. Desirable color, console, 140 speedometer, disc brakes, (is the steering wheel original? I dont like those anyway)

You are correct about the front seats, water stain on the rear interior panel, looks like no carpet ...

May be worth a look for the guy needing one.

This drives me nuts! I had two Sport Fury GTs back in the seventies.

I would love to own a 70 sport fury GT. Someday, but I know better than to buy project cars now. It's so much cheaper to buy one that someone else is inside down on.

I want it!!! Almost perfect color combo!

666 Sport Fury GTs ever came off the line, really?

Think this number was cited in a couple of publications. For 1971 I remember production number to be 375.

what happened to those John ?
I sold the first one. It was originally a Chrysler zone rep's car that had been reworked by a local Mopar racer. He had reworked the engine installing a Racer Brown cam, manual valve body in the trans and a six barrel intake from a 69 A12. By the time I got it, it was a little beat up, the previous owner had rubbed a guard rail with the right side. He was in a wheelchair (a 64 Plymouth had fallen on him) and he had fitted the car with hand controls. It was white with a black vinyl top.

That car was the ultimate sleeper. I took the six barrel set up off for my Roadrunner and eventually changed the trans back to a regular valve body. I drove in for a few years, using it for daily transportation and a tow car for my drag car on the weekends. It got a little tired though and I moved up to a NYB for my towing and sold the car. The guy that bought it knew what it was and the last I saw it, it was sitting next to his garage. Never saw it since though.

The other car was one I had seen for years. Beautiful red with black top and black interior. A good looking older woman drove it. I had lusted over them both for a number of years. I got a call from a friend one day.... "You still want that car?" My jaw dropped... He got a call from the owner at the speed shop he worked at and she wanted the car gone and asked if they knew anyone that would want it. He knew I wanted that car! If I picked the car up that night, I could have it.... for free...

I grabbed the trailer and snatched the car that night. The owner didn't look that good up close... and neither did the Fury after all those years. Turns out the rear frame had rusted so bad the leaf spring had come up through the trunk. I was disappointed, but it was free, so that's how it works out sometimes.

It really wasn't fixable at that point and my then wife wasn't real keen on another old car sitting around, so I stripped the car out and scrapped the body.

I really wished I had both cars at the same time..... The red one would have made a great parts car. Things that were screwed up on the white car were nice on the red car.

I just went back to Fuselage.de for a refresher course.
A Plymouth ad for the GT had this line it i:

In fact, Big daddy's shock vakue may well be it's greatest quality...
And here it is, 44 years later. The copy writers were right.

smeh75.jpg

I just hope he can back it up with the VIN.

25i3b7b.jpg

1263387.jpg

Last edited:
It could also be a stripe delete car, or quarter century old repaint, but you're right in general, it needs further inspection.

It does have the hood stripes and the black bumper panel. Interior looks right to me.

It does have the hood stripes and the black bumper panel. Interior looks right to me.

I agree John. Being in the mid west sun all its life may have also taken a toll on the stripe. A repaint DOES sound like a possibility.

No one will be buying that car without a deeper inspection

If this car is as clean body-wise as it looks there should be a decent sheet in there somewhere to prove it is what he says it is.

Ad says it comes with a build sheet.

[h=2]Mopar Heads - 1970 GT (Sparks, NV )[/h]
00404_2uHtcFBpSTv_600x450.jpg

1970 Plymonth Fury automatic transmission

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT. This ultra rare vehicle is one of 666 built. Original California car was bought out of Sacramento 20 years ago and brought to Nevada. Has a 440 4 bbl console automatic, PS, PB, Air. Car has been a daily driver and runs good. Time for someone to restore her. NO RUST! Car comes with extra parts some are NOS parts. This is a real GT that comes with build sheet. Call for all the details. 775-762-5805 David $15,000 Do your homework on this car before calling. Try to find another GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back