Drive-in Theater near me reopening!

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I never thought I would see this. A drive-in theater near me, just reopened with digital projectors to show first run movies! I am very excited, it is the same company that still has a theater near me, which I attended regularly as a kid.

It is in Dayton, Ohio the Melody 49. It is about 45 minutes away. I will definitely be attending with Goldie this summer. I hope they have success with this reopening and decide to open my old haunt just 20 minutes away.

Screenshot_20190427-113059_Facebook.jpg
2018-12-03_07-20-22.jpg

That's awesome! We have one not to far from us (abt an hour) and get there at least once a year, depending on what's showing.

I did a little more research. The original family had many theaters all over the area for over 50 years and slowly closed all the single screen theaters followed by drive-ins. They just sold the last multiplex for $800,000 and reopened the drive-in this spring. I think he got the itch to get back into the movie business.

The problem with my nearby drive-in, is it's just down the road, from the 10 theater multiplex, which he just sold. He may have signed a noncompete clause preventing him from reopening it.

I hope I am wrong and he reopens with his new cash flow from the sale.

I just learned that the drive-in 20 min west of me closed down this year :(:(

The landowner is not renewing the lease and wants to put up...retail spaces!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Man, I had some great times at that theater. In and out of the car :D

Only one left in the Chicago area and it's an hour north of me in McHenry. @sixpkrt

I know of two south to the south of me one south of indianapolis off of us67 and one or two south of bloomington

When all of the movies had to convert to digital format, which is when many drive-ins closed, Honda had a national contest to give 15 of them new digital projectors. I voted for a small-town drive-in in Graham, TX and they got one.

I'm not sure that young 'uns are aware of what those "back rows" were usually used for, back then. Back when cars had spacious interiors in which to relax . . . Or why those areas were generally patrolled by "guys with flashlights"? LOL Different times, back then.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I was always amazed at how you could fog up the closed windows, even on a big 4 door sedan. :)

That's some great news Mike:thumbsup:
We are fortunate to have a 4 screen nearby.
We've gone every summer when the Polara is ready for the road.
They were previewing C bodies that evening:lol:

modified Drive-in pic.jpg

Last edited:
We have one not far from us. Finger Lakes Drive-In | Auburn, NY

The Dodge was on the ground and deteriorating fast, but I see it's up on the sign now. It just opened this weekend, but I don't imagine there was a big crowd with the weather. This place does a lot of things right... Even has a decent snack bar.

marquee1.jpg

There's another place, a little farther away. I met the owner a few years ago. Unfortunately, he was killed in an accident while working at the place. His kids are running it and hopefully they will continue on.

Midway Drive-in Theatre

I Went to my Local Drive-In Today for a car show, Only Imperial there ! (no surprise).
The Jap car in the front row was a spectator.

PTDC0187.JPG

You guys are all lucky. We had two in town when I was coming of age, they didn't last too long after that. Given our Northern location, they were only open maybe six months of the year. And also due to our Northern location, first show starts after ten P.M. due to late sunsets. A couple of times a year some of the car clubs, and lately one of the larger part stores, Partsource, have one of the temporary blow up screens set up in a large parking lot and show a couple of classics. Always a good time!

Man, I remember those! Had a couple drive-ins within a few miles where I lived and went to HS. In HS I had a '69 VW 'camper' van. Parked in last row, backed in, could lay on the fold down bed and watch the movies. Memories!!

We have one not far from us. Finger Lakes Drive-In | Auburn, NY

The Dodge was on the ground and deteriorating fast, but I see it's up on the sign now. It just opened this weekend, but I don't imagine there was a big crowd with the weather. This place does a lot of things right... Even has a decent snack bar.

View attachment 281655
:thumbsup:
We drove past this Drive-In last summer on our way to Bennington, VT Hemming News Friday the 13th cruise night.

It is in Dayton, Ohio the Melody 49.
Growing up in Dayton, the Melody drive-in was just a short drive north of where I lived and one of the places to go to on date night. I can't remembers seeing any movies there though.
Only one left in the Chicago area and it's an hour north of me in McHenry
I heard the Cascade was closed too. At least there's still one left around Chitown. I'll never forget the first time I took the family to the McHenry drive-in. My daughters were probably 9 & 12 at the time. Good family times and memories.

This got me looking at Drive-In memorabilia.

All the drive-ins now broadcast over your radio. I remember the old cast aluminum speakers. I never used or even saw the heaters I thought this painted one is cool. I never even knew there were Bakelite speakers.

Screenshot_20190428-090741_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190428-090804_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190428-091309_Chrome.jpg

I must make a confession, I found one of these heaters on Ebay. They are painted case Aluminum. It was too tempting, this one is pretty ruff and has a bad repaint job. The perfect candidate to be stripped and restored in YY-1 Saddle Bronze Poly. :)

To do it right the red should be QQ-1 Spanish Red

Screenshot_20190428-092215_eBay.jpg

Back